VERSA DYNAMICS TT OWNERS - Calling All! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2011, 11:17 PM   #1
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Default VERSA DYNAMICS TT OWNERS - Calling All!

Any Versa Dynamics TT owners out there??

Two main varieties the original 2.0 and the later 1.2.

Since I just acquired a 1.2 in need of restoration, it seems like a good idea to start a thread on the topic... mods too...

I know there is some discussion on VinylEngine... but that's an old thread there, and there are more total people on here...

_-_-bear

PS. I am interested in acquiring a model 2.0, non-working preferred.

Last edited by bear; 1st June 2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 1st June 2011, 11:26 PM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Here's the one I just got...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VERSA 1.2 as-is.JPG (35.3 KB, 371 views)
Old 1st June 2011, 11:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Could be interesting table - direct drive?
Old 2nd June 2011, 01:57 AM   #4
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

No, the Versa is a belt drive with a uproc controlled stepper motor.
The stepper is very likely to be replaced, although we shall have to see about that in a bit...

_-_-

The 2.0 came first (oddly enough) and has a full air bearing under the platter with vacuum hold down.

The 1.0, 1.2 has vacuum hold down, but no airbearing.
Old 5th June 2011, 10:10 PM   #5
AVWERK is offline AVWERK  United States
diyAudio Member

I always wanted one of these. I'm surprized they used a stepper? Are you sure it came from the factory that way or someone mikeymoused one in?
Got great reviews from memory. When you take it apart I would be interested in the air bearing outlet and how its made. Whether they used a V or U groove spirally around the movable headshell or ?

This appears the best way to build a tonearm and end the outside resonance problems associated with all other designs. The Air tangent would be second on my list if vacuum hold down wasn't an option

I still consider getting a centerless grinder and giving it a go or you could save me the pain and give up and sell me yours!

Regards
David
Old 5th June 2011, 11:58 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Very interesting tt - a good catch i would say! Keep us posted if you can.......
Old 6th June 2011, 04:31 AM   #7
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Yes the factory design is a microprocessor controlled stepper motor... lots o torque.

The 1.2 does NOT have an air bearing for the platter, it does have vacuum hold down.

Not sure what the question about the headshell refers to or is about? Could you re-state it perhaps? Are you talking about how the air is introduced to the moving tonearm assembly?/

_-_-bear
Old 6th June 2011, 10:03 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I think he means how the air escapes from the arm carriage? It looks like the air is fed to the carriage rather than the tube......
Old 6th June 2011, 05:22 PM   #9
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

yes air is fed to the moving tonearm part... what the means of distribution in the bearing surface is I am unsure, haven't had one apart in a decade, and the one in the picture is due to arrive later this week, in pieces...

_-_-
Old 7th June 2011, 09:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Bear

I had you contacted some time ago about the Versa.
Since then, I found one in France (the only! ) in working condition but I had a lot of work on it for reliable operation. I contacted the designer (John Bicht) but it is not very talkative about his turntables and you must pay for information . So I managed alone and with the help of a very nice gentleman met on vinyl engine (Tube4life) which has a 2.0 and 1.2 that knows them well. Thanks to him I got it working without problems.
If this many people interested in France, I will make detailed pictures of the turntable and arm .
See you soon. Vincent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vueprincipale.jpg (213.9 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg p1020193a.jpg (177.0 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg detailbras.jpg (226.4 KB, 267 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!