Technics 1210 - "Speed problem"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

Yes my headline gives hints to similar threads but i cant find anything currently on "whats wrong with my deck" ;)

Anyway its an old Technics 1210 Mk2, that today stopped working....

When switched on "everything" works, that means 33/45, pitch, start/stop etc - but.... :

- When rotating, it comes to "a bump" in each turn, where both the plate "stoppes" for 1/10 of a second and the red light blinks in the on/off button.

At first i thought it was pure mechanical, that one of my kids must had dropped something small into the deck - but no ! I have just now taken the complete thing apart and its still there...

Maybe i should do a video to explain the problem ?

http://www.slottoennesen.dk/1210/MVI_2161.MOV

Looking forward to any reply - DIY greetings from Denmark !

Last edited:
hi coralreef
i have had lots of experience with this model and have seen this kind of fault before

this fault can be very hard to diagnose made more difficult due to the board not being accessible with the platter on

first thing i would check is the supply regulator (20Volts), this needs to be checked with the plater on and the motor running, looking for exesive volt drop. problem is the measurements points are not accesable if the platter is fitted, i remove the base and run tempory wire for test purposes.
if when monitoring the power supply the voltage drops in sync with the supply then suspect the series regulator transistor and the driver transistors.

if that is not the problem then i would suspect that one of the phases of the motor is open circuit or the motor drive IC could be faulty

if you do not understand what i am saying then i would reccommend you get it looked at by an experienced technician

Well still have this deck standing still and want to fix it. I can read in otherposts that often the some of the control ICs are changed to fix similar problems.

I am thinking of doing the same, but where to start ? Any good hints on which ICs is most likely to be the one ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.