Technics SL-1200 Mk2 pitch control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of older Technics decks that have been in heavy use for many years at a local club. As a result, the pitch control faders on both of them are pretty gummed up. I'd like to replace them, as this is something I've done before with turntables that I own. I ordered the part, but once it arrived and I opened up one of the tables, I realized that it wouldn't fit! The fader in the turntable has three "pins" on each end and 2 "support pins" on each of the long sides that carry no signal but get soldered to the PCB (I assume) to support the unit. The replacement part that I got has four pins on each end (in a different patter, it won't fit even if I bend some of the pins down) and no support pins. Anybody know anything about this? I ordered a pitch control about 4 or 5 years ago and it was of the type that would have fit in this table. I've never seen this new type before. Did they change parts at some point? Is there a way to get the old part? Thanks in advance for your help!

I wild guess would be that there send you the new pitch for the new Sl-1200 MD3 (I think that is the right model).

But like I said this is just a guest...I don't even know if their really haved changed the control for the new release...But I think so...

Regard,

Francois Gregoire

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Clarck
The 1200's you have are equipped with the old faders.
These faders are not available anymore.
Therefore you have to order the replacement faders which consist of a new pcb and a fader.
The correct part # from Panasonic is:
EVBJ05C19ABE
Good luck
If you have further questions regarding those decks, feel free to ask.

/Hugo - Replaced hundreds of them ;)

Hugo -

Thanks for the reply. I just brought up the list of parts for the SL-1200Mk2 on Panasonic's parts ordering website. They don't have the part number that you gave. They do have this entry, though:

SFDP122-13A PITCH CONTROL PCB $30.89

Is this the same thing or something different? Where do you typicall order this part from? Directly from Panasonic, or from a third party? Thanks for your help!

I found a link to a company that sells the entire replaecment unit (pitch fader, pcb, zero lock LED, and wiring harness). Hope this helps anybody else who is interested in doing the same thing as me, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with old 6-pin pitch control Technics that need to replace an old gritty pitch control with a nice smooth new one:

http://1200s.com/cgi-bin/VirtualCat...ucts.htx&sort_on=description&displayNumber=10
VR303PCB_sm.gif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Clark2000 said:
I found a link to a company that sells the entire replaecment

It's a bit expensive, but looks like it should do the trick.
I never tried Eric's approach, you know when we have the parts we just replace them. It's less time consuming for the customer.
But this should work also very well.

/Hugo:)

Netlist said:

It's a bit expensive, but looks like it should do the trick.
I never tried Eric's approach, you know when we have the parts we just replace them. It's less time consuming for the customer.
But this should work also very well.

/Hugo:)

Hugo,

Is that the same part that you were talking about? Is there a different one that is cheaper that I can use? I'm handy with a soldering iron and everything else, so if I can just order the new PCB that will accept the new 8-pin fader, I can replace the whole thing...

Thanks!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Clark2000 said:
Is that the same part that you were talking about? Is there a different one that is cheaper that I can use? I'm handy with a soldering iron and everything else, so if I can just order the new PCB that will accept the new 8-pin fader, I can replace the whole thing...

Thanks!

Of course the cheapest way is Eric's approach. Nothing to order anymore as you have the fader; fixed in half an hour.
If you like the original part, the one on the site you mentioned looks original to me and is plug and play.
The part I mentioned is a naked pcb with only the fader soldered in place. The LED, trimpot and wires have to come off from the old pcb. I usually bye it at +/- €15 (And sell it double of course :devilr: )
Only problem for you will be ordering the EVBxxxxx part.
So, finally, if I were you, I would do as Eric suggests.

/Hugo :)

did you try contact cleaner? it cleans and lubs. and on faders
i use a pair of needel nose pliers to tighten the steel cage around the fader to the pcb. should be like 4 or 6 little steel
fingers holding it together. thay loosen up over time. i got a few back from the dead doing this
;)

but if it was used in a club there likelly used up:bawling:

Netlist said:

Of course the cheapest way is Eric's approach. Nothing to order anymore as you have the fader; fixed in half an hour.
So, finally, if I were you, I would do as Eric suggests.

Ok, I'm slightly comfortable doing this. Does anybody know which pins on the 8-pin pitch fader match up with the pins on the 6-pin fader?

Ok, so that was a bit lazy. Sorry, that's not really how I meant to come off.

I certainly appreciate all your help, and since at least one poster had mentioned doing this before, I thought somebody might have the answer on the tip of his tongue. I will try to figure it out on my own, but my "electronics skills" (in quotes because I don't really have any) don't go any farther than operating a soldering iron and solder sucker. I guess now is the time I'll learn some of this stuff!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, if you don't have a meter it will be a bit harder.
Buying a cheap one could be a solution.
Otherwise, try to follow the printed circuit board layout,
and try to find out what wires should go where.
Make a drawing.
Presumably only 3 wires will go to the fader.
The others will go to the LED and the preset.

Good luck

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.