TD124 mk1 RB301 new plinth and service

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So the plinth has dry up and I made the upper-plate to fit the frame, now a quick fit to see how it will look like.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-05-22 om 18.31.36.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2011-05-22 om 18.31.36.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 342
No, it's from OMA's site, but I really like this setup, and have been in touch with OMA about the plinth. They ship worldwide, with no breakage. Kevin has that tonearm ... it's superb. OMA's solution, with the tonearm mount separated from the chassis of the TD124, ensures a serious reduction in mechanical noise transmitted to the arm. I've seen measurements of 15dB reduction.

This one is mine, I had it painted in British Racing Green:

SLBeo3000.jpg

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The turn table seems to be stored a lot and not used a lot. So I do not aspect much wear of parts.

Cleaning and oiling things will do until other wise is proven.

Well that is what I thought about mine too, disassembling my unit which had probably less than even 100 hrs of use showed that there was a lot of congealed lubricant in the motor bearings - and no amount of oil is going to fix that. The old bearings can be cleaned and reused if not worn, and the result long term is worth it. I'm by no means the originator of this pearl of wisdom, but I have found the truth in it - five motors so far. The motor should run much quieter and cooler with a proper service even if you replace no parts.

No, it's from OMA's site, but I really like this setup, and have been in touch with OMA about the plinth. They ship worldwide, with no breakage. Kevin has that tonearm ... it's superb. OMA's solution, with the tonearm mount separated from the chassis of the TD124, ensures a serious reduction in mechanical noise transmitted to the arm. I've seen measurements of 15dB reduction.

This one is mine, I had it painted in British Racing Green:

SLBeo3000.jpg

That arm goes along with the beogram 3000? Looks great minimalistic.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member

<snip>

It's a very good arm and in fact my table and arm will be going into a very similar slate plinth (not OMA) for exactly the same reasons. I'll post a picture once it is finished.

That arm goes along with the beogram 3000? Looks great minimalistic.

It's the pro-version of the Beogram arm of the time, called the ST/P, 12" arm, for radio stations and studios. Very pleased with the soundstage it delivers, but believe it will do an even better job when mounted on a slate plinth, isolated from the TD124, I'm thinking of doing that - and did have a Schick in mind before Kevin got his (so not copying, Kevin - emulating!)

It's the pro-version of the Beogram arm of the time, called the ST/P, 12" arm, for radio stations and studios. Very pleased with the soundstage it delivers, but believe it will do an even better job when mounted on a slate plinth, isolated from the TD124, I'm thinking of doing that - and did have a Schick in mind before Kevin got his (so not copying, Kevin - emulating!)

I do not see the difference with the schick and your arm. How does schick solves forse that drives the needle inwards. Anti skating compensation

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I do not see the difference with the schick and your arm. How does schick solves forse that drives the needle inwards. Anti skating compensation

The Schick doesn't have anti-skating compensation, the high tracking force applied with the cartridges the arm was intended to be used with seem to greatly reduce or eliminate the need. (I also found to my considerable surprise that my ZU Denon DL-103 performed best without any anti-skating compensation even in my old 3009. Imaging and electrical channel to channel balance checked/evaluated..) I was a little puzzled by all of this, but having heard Schick arms on 4 different tables (including mine obviously) with various cartridges I have to say it definitely works, and better than anything else I have heard in the range I can afford. (Limited experience, and limited budget.)

Last edited:
Hi Kevin,

Ok the arm mass is that high it compensates that behaivour.

Here a picture of the massive bankirai inside. I will ad ventilation holes under the motor.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-05-23 om 20.48.40.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2011-05-23 om 20.48.40.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Kevin,

Ok the arm mass is that high it compensates that behaivour.

Here a picture of the massive bankirai inside. I will ad ventilation holes under the motor.

Not sure it is the arm mass, but more the actual tracking force used, usually the high tracking force cartridge also has low compliance and significant mass and is matched to a medium to high mass arm. My understanding is that the need for anti-skating goes away around 2gms. This is anecdotal - have not had much time to research the issue.

"Plinth" in English.. Looks very nice, assuming that you are definitely going with a 12" arm since I see no cut-out under the rear of the arm board.

Mass and damping are generally what are recommended - the two aren't always synonymous, the next thing for me to explore.

Last edited:
"Plinth" in English.. Looks very nice, assuming that you are definitely going with a 12" arm since I see no cut-out under the rear of the arm board.

Mass and damping are generally what are recommended - the two aren't always synonymous, the next thing for me to explore.

I will fit neutrick cinch bushes direct behind the tone arm on the top-plate to increase high end feel to it. And the hole for that have to be drilled soon.

I ordered a bearing set for the E50 motor. I damaged the top bearing when i performed a oil massage for the felt ring. The bearing was very brittle and broke.

Last edited:
The main switch has a capacitor to filter of disturbance.

It is 10nF the one in the TT was blow I replaced it. The official capacitor to be placed between line and neutral is a X capacitor. The capacitors who are official tested for this function have a UL or CSA label and X capacitor text.

On the photo the defective capacitor is easy to recognize. The capacitors are often the cause for fire in electronics!

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-05-25 om 22.37.11.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2011-05-25 om 22.37.11.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 298
To day I received new mushroom suspensions they are nice flexible It reduce the mechanical noise good when I place my ear near the TT.

Also made the cut out for the cinch bushes near the arm to have the wires without extra connection direct to the bushes.
Van den Hul: MCS - 150 M

It enhances the high-end looks and funtioning.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-05-25 om 22.36.45.jpg
    Schermafbeelding 2011-05-25 om 22.36.45.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
The picture of the capacitor seems to indicate that its value is 10 pF. It looks like the "p" is mangeled to appear like an "n". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sincerely,

Ralf

On the capacitor I read 10.000pF =10nF. But the exact value isn't that important in this application. It will cause a bit leakage-current and it is placed over the switch.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.