Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2011, 03:26 PM   #31
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemann View Post
It's the pro-version of the Beogram arm of the time, called the ST/P, 12" arm, for radio stations and studios. Very pleased with the soundstage it delivers, but believe it will do an even better job when mounted on a slate plinth, isolated from the TD124, I'm thinking of doing that - and did have a Schick in mind before Kevin got his (so not copying, Kevin - emulating!)
I do not see the difference with the schick and your arm. How does schick solves forse that drives the needle inwards. Anti skating compensation

Last edited by Helmuth; 23rd May 2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 23rd May 2011, 03:32 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Dudley goes into how Schick does that here:
Listening #87 | Stereophile.com

With my arm it's solved with the quite ingenious gimbal-system; perfect anti-skating with no lateral force applied.
Old 23rd May 2011, 04:36 PM   #33
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I do not see the difference with the schick and your arm. How does schick solves forse that drives the needle inwards. Anti skating compensation
The Schick doesn't have anti-skating compensation, the high tracking force applied with the cartridges the arm was intended to be used with seem to greatly reduce or eliminate the need. (I also found to my considerable surprise that my ZU Denon DL-103 performed best without any anti-skating compensation even in my old 3009. Imaging and electrical channel to channel balance checked/evaluated..) I was a little puzzled by all of this, but having heard Schick arms on 4 different tables (including mine obviously) with various cartridges I have to say it definitely works, and better than anything else I have heard in the range I can afford. (Limited experience, and limited budget.)

Last edited by kevinkr; 23rd May 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 23rd May 2011, 06:58 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi Kevin,

Ok the arm mass is that high it compensates that behaivour.

Here a picture of the massive bankirai inside. I will ad ventilation holes under the motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schermafbeelding 2011-05-23 om 20.48.40.jpg (46.1 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by Helmuth; 23rd May 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:38 PM   #35
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Hi Kevin,

Ok the arm mass is that high it compensates that behaivour.

Here a picture of the massive bankirai inside. I will ad ventilation holes under the motor.
Not sure it is the arm mass, but more the actual tracking force used, usually the high tracking force cartridge also has low compliance and significant mass and is matched to a medium to high mass arm. My understanding is that the need for anti-skating goes away around 2gms. This is anecdotal - have not had much time to research the issue.

"Plinth" in English.. Looks very nice, assuming that you are definitely going with a 12" arm since I see no cut-out under the rear of the arm board.

Mass and damping are generally what are recommended - the two aren't always synonymous, the next thing for me to explore.

Last edited by kevinkr; 23rd May 2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:04 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
"Plinth" in English.. Looks very nice, assuming that you are definitely going with a 12" arm since I see no cut-out under the rear of the arm board.

Mass and damping are generally what are recommended - the two aren't always synonymous, the next thing for me to explore.
I will fit neutrick cinch bushes direct behind the tone arm on the top-plate to increase high end feel to it. And the hole for that have to be drilled soon.

I ordered a bearing set for the E50 motor. I damaged the top bearing when i performed a oil massage for the felt ring. The bearing was very brittle and broke.

Last edited by Helmuth; 24th May 2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 25th May 2011, 08:48 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

The main switch has a capacitor to filter of disturbance.

It is 10nF the one in the TT was blow I replaced it. The official capacitor to be placed between line and neutral is a X capacitor. The capacitors who are official tested for this function have a UL or CSA label and X capacitor text.

On the photo the defective capacitor is easy to recognize. The capacitors are often the cause for fire in electronics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schermafbeelding 2011-05-25 om 22.37.11.jpg (47.8 KB, 179 views)
Old 25th May 2011, 09:08 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

To day I received new mushroom suspensions they are nice flexible It reduce the mechanical noise good when I place my ear near the TT.

Also made the cut out for the cinch bushes near the arm to have the wires without extra connection direct to the bushes.
Van den Hul: MCS - 150 M

It enhances the high-end looks and funtioning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Schermafbeelding 2011-05-25 om 22.36.45.jpg (57.6 KB, 176 views)

Last edited by Helmuth; 25th May 2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 26th May 2011, 06:59 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Default Hello Helmuth

[QUOTE]
Quote:
The main switch has a capacitor to filter of disturbance.

It is 10nF the one in the TT was blow I replaced it.
The picture of the capacitor seems to indicate that its value is 10 pF. It looks like the "p" is mangeled to appear like an "n". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sincerely,

Ralf

Last edited by Straight Tracker; 26th May 2011 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 26th May 2011, 10:12 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Straight Tracker;2583937]
Quote:

The picture of the capacitor seems to indicate that its value is 10 pF. It looks like the "p" is mangeled to appear like an "n". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sincerely,

Ralf
On the capacitor I read 10.000pF =10nF. But the exact value isn't that important in this application. It will cause a bit leakage-current and it is placed over the switch.

Last edited by Helmuth; 26th May 2011 at 10:22 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!