RIAA Equalization Standard... - Page 31 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2011, 09:32 AM   #301
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiiB View Post
... how would you else explain that the music evolved on different continents fits each other both tonally and rhythmically ...
I don't see how you can say this as, for instance, the music of the Indian subcontinent uses a very different system of a) tone fractions and b) beats to Western music.

Regards,

Andy
Old 18th September 2011, 10:13 AM   #302
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

And we have 12 bar blues.. off course variations exist.. but the 16 beats of the typical Indian subcontinental style still fits the 4/4..of the normal western-world. Point is that the development of music and rhythm is profound and not only related to culture...Its rooted deeper and attached to emotions to sex..It's a fundamental...! this talking to something deeply rooted inside us is what artists try to put on their records and what we try to decode out from the recording again right in our living room...
Old 18th September 2011, 10:19 AM   #303
andyr is offline andyr  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

And we have 12 bar blues..
AIUI, Western music is 7 tones to the octave? Do ray me fa so la ti ... right (as anyone who has seen The Sound of Music" will know)?

Whereas Chinese music, I believe, uses a 12-tone scale.

This is nothing to do with "12 bar blues".

Regards,

Andy
Old 18th September 2011, 02:24 PM   #304
MiiB is offline MiiB  Denmark
diyAudio Member

if you take the black keys there's is 12 pr octave....But that's not really the point...it's more that music is profound and developed with similar structures regardless origin..It goes a level deeper than culture and it's linked to something deep within. If this common denominator is found we may have a clue how to make systems perform better...
Old 22nd September 2011, 08:47 PM   #305
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCruz View Post
Maybe my ears are extra sensible

Maybe others can not hear any difference. I know a guy that owns a Forcell and can not hear any differences between using the stock very special arm cable and an ordinary supermarket wire.

Another guy started recently a discussion on Linkedin stating that he works in a pro studio an can not hear any differences between cables.

I also know a local amp builder that can not hear any difference between chinese low cost carbon resistors and naked Vishays.
Well, if you think that resistor type would make a change in sound, then you will agree with my point labeled "Point #4": If there is indeed a change in sound, perhaps it's not due to the theoretical 40pF change in capacitance but to something else related with one component (capacitor) vs the other, or some additional change at the electronic (signal) level.
Old 11th October 2011, 10:42 AM   #306
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Can you justify the adoption of 7.83Hz over the 1/64 of 500.5Hz (=7.82Hz)?
Old 11th October 2011, 11:26 AM   #307
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Can you justify the adoption of 7.83Hz over the 1/64 of 500.5Hz (=7.82Hz)?
yes!
in general no one really set the frequency noise, so she changed Russian, Czech and German scientists believe it = 7.83 Hz. American, Japanese, English = 7.82, while the Chinese are generally = 7.5 Hz. (I have the consistency of the Chinese electronics but!)
I relied on the Russian standard. That's the way real-time noise frequency in the air. Its fluctuations determine the conditions of the recording studio. Little nuances but ... it has a terrific sense of presence (or lack of) live music!
Old 11th October 2011, 11:31 AM   #308
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Antisemitic post deleted. Mr. Kunashirsky will be unable to answer your comments for the next week.
Old 11th October 2011, 12:17 PM   #309
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunashirsky View Post
yes!
in general no one really set the frequency noise, so she changed Russian, Czech and German scientists believe it = 7.83 Hz. American, Japanese, English = 7.82, while the Chinese are generally = 7.5 Hz. (I have the consistency of the Chinese electronics but!)
I relied on the Russian standard.
I think you are saying that these Countries adopted a different recording standard. I'm OK with that.
All that needs is for the "standard" to be printed on the recording so that we listeners can switch the replay curve to match the recording curve.
But that is not what I am asking.

I am asking: why adopt 7.82 or 7.83 or 7.5 or another other fixed "standard"?
If the replay curve exactly matches the record curve, then does it make a difference to the final sound whether the "standard" adopts one value over another?
Old 22nd October 2011, 08:48 PM   #310
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This is what I have derived up til now....Thanks RCruz...

curves are made from time constants and Laplace-transformation. and if they are right I can see quite big differences mainly in high frequency area...
Another way to decode the riaa-emphasis is to use software filters. I have such a system running since a few month, actually using the biquad coefficients provided by Scott. Yes, it is ADC -> software filter engine -> DAC during playback. The result is amazing.
It can't be that difficult to compute the coefficients for those mentioned other curves. Perhaps somone knows how to obtain these by the aid of TI's coefficient calculator?
I seem to miss some understandig how to adjust the parameters to get along...
Or is it possible to compute those coefficents out of a Laplace transform?

Rüdiger

Hide this!Advertise here!