2SK170 BL MC step up amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Gives local reference to gnd. Can work without, it may give the odd ''pop'' from cout, but no big deal. To check the build properly, provide a sub mV sine wave from a divider, watch on a scope for output. See that you got no DC on input, check all your component connections against the schematic.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As I mentioned before look in the simplistic Riaa thread for smpkje's 63dB build, he had successfully used your pre-pre and the HighMC main Riaa pre directly from the pdf instructions and input sensitivity selection DIP switching. He had shown some layout details, maybe comparing it can help your debugging.

Attachments

• 100_2363.jpg
    100_2363.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 1,037
Thanks Batty & Salas, great that more people build this, it's really sounds good :), worth all the effort.
here are my updates, last time I still have hum and transparency problem on the mid-high side. Also I like to try bypassing the 1000uF caps.

On transparency I know it must be very good referring to my TDA1541 sk170 DAC I/V (ECdesign), so problem must lies elsewhere

bypassing all 7809 and BC550's 1000uF caps with 0.1uF wima I got better mid & silky highs
Changing azur540 Cout from prev, mod 100uF black cerafine to 10uF silmic2 is surprising , silmic gives better transparency and bass...silmic will stay until I can find small sized 10uF MKP :)

Hum largely gone after tidying up litz wire leads, too bad I still use bad-hot transformer.. I'm happy now & starting enjoying records maybe for 6 months :) then build the complete RIAA, Thanks Salas !

regards
TeguhPS

Attachments

• azur 540-mm-to-mc4.jpg
    azur 540-mm-to-mc4.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 964
  • mm-mc trafo.jpg
    mm-mc trafo.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 938
  • kiseki bluesilver-td320mk2.jpg
    kiseki bluesilver-td320mk2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 900
:D:D Today I have some success. I missed a couple of links to connect the earth. It is sounding sweet but a little light on the bass compared with the battery version.
Maybe it needs some time to burn in. The components are basic. What are suggested types for the caps to make it really sing.
I will start on valve itch soon.
By the way I have nearly 0.5v difference from the power supply between the two channels as measured from the transistor, voltage in is the same for both. Is this due to different gain from the transistors?
Thanks for the circuit salas.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its due to slightly different combined IDSS. Small DC difference, no worries. The total Yfs times the load counts. I.e. having balance between channels for gain. The 1000uF electrolytics can play a role to bassy tone or else, Nichicon Muse tend to gravitate there. The value and type of your load resistor can affect tonality also, cheapest test. For the 0.47uF I suggest Teflon, NOS USSR are attractive in price. See if you need more gain also if it never will fill up. Increasing the load resistor in conservative steps will be upping the gain.

Hi Salas,
As an update I haven't yet upgraded the caps, but the sound has improved. The frequency range has extended with the bass filling out.
Interestingly I have a incorporated switchable cart loading, i selected the values too close as there isn't much difference in sound. I used 90,100,120,220 and 560 ohm.My cart has recommended loading 120R.

Hi Salas,
As an update I haven't yet upgraded the caps, but the sound has improved. The frequency range has extended with the bass filling out.
Interestingly I have a incorporated switchable cart loading, i selected the values too close as there isn't much difference in sound. I used 90,100,120,220 and 560 ohm.My cart has recommended loading 120R.

Which cartridge you used?

I made the MC step-up also and it wasn't just a voltage step-up :)
I used 2 LT1086CT in serie in their best config.
FT3 teflon is very honest, pure & great for instruments but I needed a more juicy sound so I used Clarity Cap DACT with MKP1837.
My cart is an Ortofon Rondo red.

Thanks again Salas !

Attachments

• P1070431.JPG
    P1070431.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 852
ANOTHER approach at the mc- pre. This time with a BiB shunt, the power an open sound it gave made me go back to the FT-3 teflon cap. I had some issues to tackle hum, put the mc-stages in metal boxes and installed some RC filters in front of the BiB.

Maybe it's premature when I say that this is my final setup of Salas his MC stage,
because you never know, but it's good !

Attachments

• P1070498.JPG
    P1070498.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 754
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.