diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Analogue Source (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/)
-   -   Grace G-707 headshell (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/18793-grace-g-707-headshell.html)

Gram 10th August 2003 01:26 AM

Grace G-707 headshell

The headshell of my Grace was accidentaly broken :( Do you think it can be satisfactorily glued up..? Any further suggestions..? Thanks..

fdegrove 10th August 2003 05:35 PM

Hi,

A lot will depend on where and how it was broken.

You could try super-glue or something similar.

If it's metal maybe a dedicated metal glue will make for a better bond.

Just be careful not to put too much glue on it ot it will never sound the same again...;)

Cheers,:)

Brett 10th August 2003 08:30 PM

How was it damaged? If it was struck or twisted hard enough that the plastic headshell was broken, I'd also be concerned for the state of the bearings and/or the straightness of the armtube. A 707 is a good arm, but it's not exactly built like a tank.

Gram 10th August 2003 08:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. Something heavy was dropped on the headshell and snapped it where it meets the armtube, which appears straight. I guess a new headshell would be the answer, but I dont like my chances of finding one of those. I think glueing it, even if it appears successful, will probably have some adverse effect on the sound..

fdegrove 10th August 2003 11:15 PM

Hi,

Quote:

I think glueing it, even if it appears successful, will probably have some adverse effect on the sound..
What do you expect?

See it as a temporary solution if you like....I got two arms, two legs but not two tonearms..I know, it's a very poor joke...

If it's a clean cut, as you suggest, use glue and save up for the next tonearm.

Cheers,;)

DSummer 11th August 2003 01:08 AM

Hadcock headshell

About 15 years ago, my friend change it to Hadcock headshell with huge sound improvements (a little modification is needed)

fdegrove 11th August 2003 01:27 AM

Hi,

Quote:

About 15 years ago, my friend change it to Hadcock headshell with huge sound improvements (a little modification is needed)
As far as tonearms go; Hadcocks are natural accidents, Graces are accidents waiting to happen....

Either way, you'd probably want a uni-pivot, just not one of those...

Cheers,;)

DSummer 11th August 2003 03:14 AM

The Hadcock shell can be ordered from manufacturer, but not sure the price... After modification, Grace 707 will give you a surprise!

ktigerb 11th August 2003 07:31 AM

Grace 707 Headshell

Greetings

I believe Dave (Planet10) has some expertise in Grace arm headshell replacements and "upgrades".! How about it Dave
I been planning a similar operation with a sturdier headshell but it will change the effective length somewhat , which is no big deal just have to measure and find correct Baerwald info for new pivot position.

regards
keith birss

Gram 15th August 2003 09:30 PM

Grace headshell

Thanks for your suggestions..I'll let you know how I got on..