Grace G-707 headshell

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

A lot will depend on where and how it was broken.

You could try super-glue or something similar.

If it's metal maybe a dedicated metal glue will make for a better bond.

Just be careful not to put too much glue on it ot it will never sound the same again...;)

Cheers,:)

How was it damaged? If it was struck or twisted hard enough that the plastic headshell was broken, I'd also be concerned for the state of the bearings and/or the straightness of the armtube. A 707 is a good arm, but it's not exactly built like a tank.

Thanks for the replies. Something heavy was dropped on the headshell and snapped it where it meets the armtube, which appears straight. I guess a new headshell would be the answer, but I dont like my chances of finding one of those. I think glueing it, even if it appears successful, will probably have some adverse effect on the sound..

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I think glueing it, even if it appears successful, will probably have some adverse effect on the sound..

What do you expect?

See it as a temporary solution if you like....I got two arms, two legs but not two tonearms..I know, it's a very poor joke...

If it's a clean cut, as you suggest, use glue and save up for the next tonearm.

Cheers,;)

Grace 707 Headshell

Greetings

I believe Dave (Planet10) has some expertise in Grace arm headshell replacements and "upgrades".! How about it Dave
I been planning a similar operation with a sturdier headshell but it will change the effective length somewhat , which is no big deal just have to measure and find correct Baerwald info for new pivot position.

regards
keith birss

Grace 707 headshell

Well, i had a Grace 707 some years ago!!!! i think i gave it away?? i think my friend might still have it??

Anyway i had the same problem with the headshell i used 5minute epoxy worked fine i'm sure with a metal headshell, it would be better.

A most underated tonearm, i ran it with a Grace F8 cartridge re-tipped with a Garrott micro scanner, tracked a record like a leach sounded very lush like a moving coil ( i'm sure i've upset someone now!!!!) well i later had an ENTRE Moving Coil retipped with a micro scanner and it sounded as good as that!!!!:smash:

Hi Gram

Does it look anything like this? The arm here is a Grace G-727 Gyro Master. Mine isn't broken but I'd sure like another couple of them.

bulgin

Attachments

• img_0016.jpg
    img_0016.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 275
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.