SME 3012 series 2 value?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ktigerb said:
Hi Guys

:bigeyes: 401 :scratch: Is that the one with rim drive rumble generator ?:nod: :nod:
regards
keith birss:D :D :D
Yes, I agree that this is the obvious consequence of rim-drive. I would not consider it, but for the fact that a friend of mine used to sell 301 / 401's mounted on marble and slate plinths. When ridgidly mounted this way, the rumble diminished to an acceptable level.
I do not have the stone-working kills he had, but I can work with concrete and sand...:cannotbe:

Cheers,

Hi Peter /Brett

Noted but much unlike my experience with the 3009 MKII Imp and an OC9 just wouldn't work so I dumped the arm , of course have since learned that that particular version was not as good as the earlier version. (did some amazing dance moves with a Signet TK 7E akin to the "Grado waltz")
I have a very robust very well made Audio Technica 1501 MKIII with OFC throughout ,gold plated contacts (headshell and 5 pin socket) plus ofc interconnects just waiting for a TT , came with an SP 10 which I swopped for the Micro (silly me).:bawling: which is too long for the Micro but with the DL 103 on the SP10 is the best I have heard it sound :nod:
Maybe I should buy back the SP 10 ( I like the Micro a lot)

keith

Hi everyone. Sorry to do this to you all but it is my first post and i need some help. ( i bet you've never seen that first line before). Can i give you a little background first a couple of months ago my son left home and a seed was planted in my head to turn his room into a 'Vinyl Room'. I have a couple of thousand albums but no record player as i'd given my old Waltham music centre (remember them ) away years ago. I was toying with the idea of buying a cheap one from Richer Sounds when a friend of mine who knows as much about record players as me (ie nothing) said he had an uncle who wanted rid of his as it was in his garage taking up room so i could have it . Next morning this arrived.

IMGDEAD]

The deck is a Garrard 401 and the arm is an SME 3012. Now im sorry but this means nothing to me but according to a friend this is "a nice bit of kit". As you can see it was pretty distressed and i was about two minutes from putting it in the bin till i checked out this forum . As you can see from the next picture i managed to clean it up and would really like to get it working but i was told this would cost me a few quid to get it done professionally so you can see where im going with this post now. I need to get a stylus for it plus i have no idea to start with the mound of leads and cables that came with it. If anybody could help me id be eternally grateful as id love to hear it working.

IMGDEAD]

That is "a fair bit of kit".

Because of the value of what you've got there, you might want to start a new post and ask for someone in your neighborhood to help you set it up. Offer a few beers or something.

Alternatively, standard wiring would be a power cable, two rca's, and a ground lead.

You'll need a cartridge, a discussion on high value cheap cart's can be found here:
vinylengine

cartridge set-up isn't as difficult as you'd think, but you need steady hands and some information.
plenty of reading here:
links to cart setup
with a simple glossary of terms:

analoguedept

and a few more, so maybe you can appreciate what you've got:
diying a time machine
301 restoration

another alternative would be to sell me the whole thing cheap, and buy yourself a nice, easy to set-up, rega. :)

shallbehealed said:
That is "a fair bit of kit".

Because of the value of what you've got there, you might want to start a new post and ask for someone in your neighborhood to help you set it up. Offer a few beers or something.

Alternatively, standard wiring would be a power cable, two rca's, and a ground lead.

You'll need a cartridge, a discussion on high value cheap cart's can be found here:
vinylengine

cartridge set-up isn't as difficult as you'd think, but you need steady hands and some information.
plenty of reading here:
links to cart setup
with a simple glossary of terms:

analoguedept

and a few more, so maybe you can appreciate what you've got:
diying a time machine
301 restoration

another alternative would be to sell me the whole thing cheap, and buy yourself a nice, easy to set-up, rega. :)

Sorry i've been away so i've only just managed to get back to the forum. You've certainly given me a lot of information there so much thanks it'll probably take me a few days to read it and then a few years to understand it :D . I think i'll also take your advise on starting a new thread as i feel a bit guilty about hijacking someone elses thread once again thanks for the reply as i really need to get this baby working

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.