How Can I connect A Balanced RIAA Phono Pre-Amp to a Phono Plug amp input - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2011, 09:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How Can I connect A Balanced RIAA Phono Pre-Amp to a Phono Plug amp input

Help wanted

I am a NOOB with regard to amplifier electronics I can solder a circuit together but I am lost when it comes to electronic theory. I have a Balanced Phono Pre-amp kit which has XLR output sockets. Pin 1 = Ground. Pin 2 = +. Pin 3 =-. and Pin 4 = CH with an earth signe marked PE. My Amplifier has standard Phono input sockets. Any help or advice would be most welcome with regard to connecting the Balanced Phono Pre-amp.

Many thanks

Martin
Old 24th April 2011, 11:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi
It is easy.... In proffesional Audio they keep the balanced line as long as possible so in the phono plug you go to unbalanced by soldering the 3- pole to the ground.

Some say you should solder the 2+ pole to the ground. They never ever wil agree... So in my humble opinion 2+ is a + pole and therefore should be handled that way.

Kind regards and happy soldering

Auke
Old 25th April 2011, 06:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestfreak View Post
Hi
It is easy.... In proffesional Audio they keep the balanced line as long as possible so in the phono plug you go to unbalanced by soldering the 3- pole to the ground.

Some say you should solder the 2+ pole to the ground. They never ever wil agree... So in my humble opinion 2+ is a + pole and therefore should be handled that way.

Kind regards and happy soldering

Auke
Many thanks I will solder the - wire on pin 3 to the outer screen which goes to ground.

Best wishes

Martin
Old 25th April 2011, 01:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartinbaugh View Post
Many thanks I will solder the - wire on pin 3 to the outer screen which goes to ground.

Best wishes

Martin
Hi Martin,
hope it works for you... Forgot 1 thing..... using an Balnce to Unbalnce trannis or circuit would be the best way to go But ads an other step and components in the total circuit of reproduction......

Kind regards

Auke

Hide this!Advertise here!