Teac X3R reel to reel troubleshooting help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2011, 03:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Teac X3R reel to reel troubleshooting help

I have a Teac X3R that has a problem. I found this deck sitting on a curb completely intact a few years ago. I recently pulled it apart and cleaned, lubed, changed belts, demag-ed, etc. Transport works great. Direction controls work great. Heads are in nice shape. Plays back great. The problem it has is that when you first press play, a hum/buzz comes through the outputs but will abruptly go away at some point. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. It will also come and go from time to time during playback. I found one burned up resistor across a relay so I replaced that but no difference. I figured it was dried up capacitors but I've replaced all the electrolytics in the power supply and about 80% of the caps throughout but the problem remains the same. Could a relay cause this type of problem? It seems like all the relays are functioning. Any tips?
Old 4th May 2011, 01:44 AM   #2
miklos is offline miklos  Canada
diyAudio Member

Could a relay cause this type of problem? ?[/QUOTE]
Most unlikely , but is the relay make a mechanical buzzing sound the same time when the buzzing is in the speakers? If it is, then maybe the power supply powering the mechanism is intermittently defective.

Hide this!Advertise here!