Technics SL-1300 without ground

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an early Technics SL-1300 that didn't have a ground wire. Is there a retro-fit that is easy to install. I am getting a lot of 60 cycle hum that I don't remember being so bad, so any tips out there? I have changed cartridges and checked all wires and it's still pretty bad.

The service manual on VinylEngine shows an integrated wire harness with both channels RCA connectors and the ground connector in a single molded cable that is attached to a terminal strip on the tonearm base. Perhaps a previous owner recabled it and omitted the ground connection. If you sign onto VinylEngine you can download the service manual and refitting a ground connector should be fairly straightforward. Good luck!

Thanks and FYI

Thank you for the usefull reference and I hope it will be helpful. I must note FYI that I am the original owner of this turntable...bought it through a friend in the military who took delivery at Mildenhall Air Base outside of London. This version of the TT was manufactured without a ground lead and there is no referencwe in the original owners manual. I also believe some or all of the problem lies within my home electrical wiring and the fact that the power cord on the TT is only 2 pronged. Wish me luck, and while I'm at it, can anyone direct me to a very good way to convert my vinyl to digital? I would like a high sampling rate, especially for my classical music.

The 2-prpnged power cord isn't a problem. The hum is most definitely caused by the lack of wire between the TT chassis and the preamp chassis. Take off the bottom of the TT and look for the chassis connection, probably near where the four wires from the cartridge connect to the external cables. Solder a wire to that, and run it to the chassis of your preamp/receiver (usually a screw terminal on the back).

For recording to digital, there many threads, here are a couple:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/17311-transfering-vinyl-discs-cd.html
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/20486-digitizing-vinyl-advice.html

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.