Anyone built a VPI-SDS clone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I built one of Mark's speed controllers. It is not an SDS clone as such. It is actually like the speed controller that Rega uses on the P9. The SDS creates a single sine wave at a single voltage that can be varied by frequency. Mark's controller creates 2 sine waves where the freguency, voltage and phase relationship can be adjusted.

The kit was not hard to build, however it took me some time to work out some issues. This was due to my lack of knowledge of electronics not the kit itself. In the past I have built several DYI amps, preamps and DAC's. The instructions are well done but should be read several times carefully as they are pretty detailed. This is not a kit for beginners.

Adjusting the completed controller to match the motor takes time and patience. Mark's description of the process is good. I recommend using an oscillascope where the instructions ask for its use. I used the controller with and older Rega Planar 3 with a DYI arm (based on the Well Tempered arm). I think it has helped improve the sound of the table, plus the bonus of speed control and no more changing the belt to go to 45rpm.

Attachments

• p1010208.gif
    p1010208.gif
    44.5 KB · Views: 422
johnmarkp said:
I built one of Mark's speed controllers. It is not an SDS clone as such. It is actually like the speed controller that Rega uses on the P9. The SDS creates a single sine wave at a single voltage that can be varied by frequency. Mark's controller creates 2 sine waves where the freguency, voltage and phase relationship can be adjusted.

The kit was not hard to build, however it took me some time to work out some issues. This was due to my lack of knowledge of electronics not the kit itself. In the past I have built several DYI amps, preamps and DAC's. The instructions are well done but should be read several times carefully as they are pretty detailed. This is not a kit for beginners.

Adjusting the completed controller to match the motor takes time and patience. Mark's description of the process is good. I recommend using an oscillascope where the instructions ask for its use. I used the controller with and older Rega Planar 3 with a DYI arm (based on the Well Tempered arm). I think it has helped improve the sound of the table, plus the bonus of speed control and no more changing the belt to go to 45rpm.

Tell us a bit more about this kit... sounds very interesting.

Others suggested cloning a Thorens TD125 mkII PSU... any ideas?

GD

Guys

Probably the most important thing to note about the kit is that it is temporarily unavailable due to me not having time to support it during vintage.

I will resume supply after vintage which should be in 6 - 8 weeks (2008 is the earliest vintage in recorded history - there are very few global warming deniers in the wine industry).

Another thing to note is that once the present stock of kits is exhausted there will be no more made available. I have the wrong personality to be a vendor of kits.

Mark Kelly

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.