Trying to figure out how a crossfader is wired - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th April 2011, 11:08 PM   #1
deved is offline deved  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Default Trying to figure out how a crossfader is wired

I've taken a crossfader out of a bust Technics DJ1200 mixer. There are 6 pins on the pcb, of which 2 are ground.

I'm assuming there must be 2 stereo in's, which would take up 4 pins, and a stereo out, which would take up 2 (not counting earth). How does this work? I understand how the crossfader works in theory but not in practise...any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried different combinations on a breadboard, the best of which was to get one channel working.

This is a pretty basic question I know...I have looked online but can't find the info I need. Thanks in advance!
Old 13th April 2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

There is no "in" and "out". The wiper connects to ground. The end of the track connects to channel 1, the other end of the track connects to channel 2.

Duplicate the above for the right channel.

If you are trying to mock up on a breadboard you also need to add a resistor inline with the pot. WIll be much much easier to draw, but not got time to do that right now.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the swift reply! Not sure I fully understand but will sleep on it...all I want to do is (passively) crossfade between 2 mono signals, to give one mono output.
Old 16th April 2011, 09:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

@ richie00boy
so does the crossfader work in parallel with the volume faders? When you say put resistor in line with the pot what do you mean exactly?
Old 16th April 2011, 10:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie00boy View Post
There is no "in" and "out". The wiper connects to ground. The end of the track connects to channel 1, the other end of the track connects to channel 2.
Unless it's a VCA.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!