Lp recording quality - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2011, 05:35 PM   #1
GoranB is offline GoranB  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default Lp recording quality

Hello to all,

I will realy apriciate if someone could explain to me the recording process of nowadays LP's. In meaning if its fully analog process or they are using some compression duuring recording process. Are they are using digital equipement and so...
In general is it worth to buy LP's ?
Old 8th April 2011, 06:11 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranB View Post
Hello to all,

I will realy apriciate if someone could explain to me the recording process of nowadays LP's. In meaning if its fully analog process or they are using some compression duuring recording process. Are they are using digital equipement and so...
In general is it worth to buy LP's ?
Both fully analog recordings on analog tape masters and fully digital masters are used depending on label to produce current records.

I have bought a significant number of recent recordings on LP most which were digitally mastered, and they sound good. (In all cases I prefer them to the CD) So IMHO and YMMV I will generally buy the LP in preference to CD or SACD regardless of the nature of the master used to make it.
Old 9th April 2011, 03:37 AM   #3
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

The sound quality is not about the the media used to record onto its the engineering.
Old 9th April 2011, 04:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Both fully analog recordings on analog tape masters and fully digital masters are used depending on label to produce current records.

I have bought a significant number of recent recordings on LP most which were digitally mastered, and they sound good. (In all cases I prefer them to the CD) So IMHO and YMMV I will generally buy the LP in preference to CD or SACD regardless of the nature of the master used to make it.
Is there an oportunity to look for analog mastered LP's? Are they signed somehow?

Last edited by GoranB; 9th April 2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 9th April 2011, 04:59 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Modern acts recording to vinyl are probably mostly using the digital mix to create the vinyl audio tracks. However, for maximum sound quality, you have to create two masters which will differ slightly, since vinyl and CD have different abilities and limitations.

I don't think it's realistic to expect a vinyl and CD versions of the same song to sound the same. If they do, it means they cut corners somewhere.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."
Old 9th April 2011, 08:46 AM   #6
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

I recently purchased snow patrol, eyes open on vinyl. It's as compressed as the cd version. I can only conclude that it's been produced from the same same appalling master. I was hoping that going back to vinyl would get away from the trend that is to suck the life out of music in the name of making it louder but I was wrong.
Old 9th April 2011, 10:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
It's as compressed as the cd version.
Surely it's the other way round? It is essential to compress the dynamic range of recordings for vinyl because of its much narrower useful 'window' between the dust and scratches at one end and the limited amount of needle displacement allowed at the other. CD can just be the master recording un-molested.

Of course, there really should be a third version, dynamically compressed for listening with headphones on the bus.

In this case it sounds as though there is only the third version available.
Old 9th April 2011, 11:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
I recently purchased snow patrol, eyes open on vinyl. It's as compressed as the cd version. I can only conclude that it's been produced from the same same appalling master. I was hoping that going back to vinyl would get away from the trend that is to suck the life out of music in the name of making it louder but I was wrong.

I had a some experience with "Sound of the universe" from Depeche Mode. Sounds like its dynamicly compressed, I also bought a CD, there is no difference, sounds same..compressed. The older LP's i have sounds much better. For example "Flath Earth" - Thomas Dolby
Old 9th April 2011, 11:44 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've just been reading some bits and pieces on vinyl mastering.

It does seem as though there are sometimes different masters for vinyl and CD, but there are two contradictory aspects:

CD can handle a much wider dynamic range than vinyl, has no restrictions on frequency response between 0 and 20 kHz, and no limitations on stereo image. However, its market may be perceived as being different from that of the vinyl version. So while the CD can handle the recording being 'un-molested', it is suggested they sometimes do use a more compressed version for the CD master - although this may just be a myth. (Hearing what you expect to hear etc.)

More importantly, the restrictions inherent in cutting and playing a vinyl LP means that if a producer is serious about producing a vinyl version, he should build it in from the start i.e. record the music with the dynamic range restrictions in place already. For example it's no use creating a piece of music whose 'signature' is high level stereo bass because the cutting engineer is only going to mix everything below 400 Hz to mono! Similarly, it's no use making a feature of a very fizzy top end, because the cutting engineer will have to cut the treble to prevent the cutting head from exploding. Extreme transients must be limited to prevent the cutter and/or playback needle from skipping!

So, the reality is that if a recording is made for the serious vinyl market, it will unfortunately compromise the results for the CD listener, rather than the other way round.
Old 9th April 2011, 07:48 PM   #10
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoranB View Post
Is there an oportunity to look for analog mastered LP's? Are they signed somehow?
Ultraanalog, Fidelio, and others produce all analog LPs..

Fidelio Records | Stereophile.com

You can google..

Hide this!Advertise here!