Insight to TT Motor, Acrylic Platters & Bearings - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2011, 01:05 AM   #1
slhijb is offline slhijb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Insight to TT Motor, Acrylic Platters & Bearings

Wondering if any turntable diy’ers has any experience with these products:

Diyhifisupply.com - Turntable motor unit - assembled (with power block)
@ Turntable motor unit - assembled (with power block) | Diy HiFi Supply

8Audio - Acrylic Platter & Bearing Assembly for DIY LP Turntable
@ Acrylic Platter & Bearing Assembly for DIY LP Turntable - eBay (item 310306144744 end time Mar-29-11 09:23:49 PDT)

Timaudio - DIY 70mm Platter + Bearings for your turntable
@ Timaudio DIY 70mm Platter + Bearings for your turntable - eBay (item 350398642401 end time Apr-25-11 22:11:47 PDT)

I checked the this site and the internet for reviews, but didn’t find much. Any insight into these products is appreciated.
Old 31st March 2011, 06:52 PM   #2
YAKI is offline YAKI  Israel
diyAudio Member

I have purchased the 8Audio product. The platter looks superb for me. However, the platter with the bearing went up and down as turning. Not much, but disturbing. So, I have shoot the guy from 8Audio an email with a video, showing that. One week later I got a mail from him, saying that a new product is on his way to me! Few days later - it arrived. I must say that defect in production can accrue from time to time, but a service like that - can hardly be found: quick, nice, responding. Great service by 8Audio! I will surly buy more product from them!
As for the sonic aspects? well, it will have to wait, till I will finish my DIY turntable....
Old 1st April 2011, 01:10 PM   #3
slhijb is offline slhijb  United States
diyAudio Member

Yaki, thanks for the response. It's terribly hard to find any unbiased information on these products. Great to hear that 8Audio was so responsive. Would have been even better if they would have checked it prior to sending it to you in the first place.

Diyhifisupply.com seems to have a good reputation, but couldn't find much on this motor specifically. It is a high torque DC motor from Premotec, in Holland. The company that supplies many of the Rega motors. Diyhifisupply.com apparently sold a "BIX turntable kit" a few years ago that was highly regarded. The Bix may have used the same basic motor assembly as this kit... not sure.

Hope your project is going well. Would love to hear how you are using the 8Audio platter & bearing assembly. Pictures would be great.
Old 30th December 2011, 04:42 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

slhijb

Do you have any progress reports on any of these products thanks.

I was looking at the timaudio platter.
I realized that a major part of my job was to figure out how to use technology control to create economic force, or leverage, such that money and business flowed in Microsoft's direction” — Alex St.John, father of DirectX.
Old 28th September 2012, 12:39 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

From what I can tell DIY audio supply no longer supply the Platter etc. However there is a new platter supplier on Ebay at present. This is a crowd called TemaadAudio. They have a 22 mm Platter for US$95 and also can do a 28mm & 34mm. I bought a 12inch Kit arm from them last year, Sounds fantastic with great instructions to boot.
Cheers
Old 28th September 2012, 11:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

another option!

Platter with bearing for diy turntable
Products
Old 29th September 2012, 10:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi, As far as I know, but I have note inquired with them. They can do nearly any product for a turntable. According to their blurb sheet they will even sell the drawing to make a T/T, their email is temaadsales@gmail.com

Hide this!Advertise here!