Insight to TT Motor, Acrylic Platters & Bearings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wondering if any turntable diy’ers has any experience with these products:

Diyhifisupply.com - Turntable motor unit - assembled (with power block)
@ Turntable motor unit - assembled (with power block) | Diy HiFi Supply

8Audio - Acrylic Platter & Bearing Assembly for DIY LP Turntable
@ Acrylic Platter & Bearing Assembly for DIY LP Turntable - eBay (item 310306144744 end time Mar-29-11 09:23:49 PDT)

Timaudio - DIY 70mm Platter + Bearings for your turntable
@ Timaudio DIY 70mm Platter + Bearings for your turntable - eBay (item 350398642401 end time Apr-25-11 22:11:47 PDT)

I checked the this site and the internet for reviews, but didn’t find much. Any insight into these products is appreciated.

I have purchased the 8Audio product. The platter looks superb for me. However, the platter with the bearing went up and down as turning. Not much, but disturbing. So, I have shoot the guy from 8Audio an email with a video, showing that. One week later I got a mail from him, saying that a new product is on his way to me! Few days later - it arrived. I must say that defect in production can accrue from time to time, but a service like that - can hardly be found: quick, nice, responding. Great service by 8Audio! I will surly buy more product from them!
As for the sonic aspects? well, it will have to wait, till I will finish my DIY turntable....

Yaki, thanks for the response. It's terribly hard to find any unbiased information on these products. Great to hear that 8Audio was so responsive. Would have been even better if they would have checked it prior to sending it to you in the first place.

Diyhifisupply.com seems to have a good reputation, but couldn't find much on this motor specifically. It is a high torque DC motor from Premotec, in Holland. The company that supplies many of the Rega motors. Diyhifisupply.com apparently sold a "BIX turntable kit" a few years ago that was highly regarded. The Bix may have used the same basic motor assembly as this kit... not sure.

Hope your project is going well. Would love to hear how you are using the 8Audio platter & bearing assembly. Pictures would be great.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.