need help with problem Trio KT-3133 tuner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been modernising this tuner with new capacitors, it sounds great but to get stereo when I switch on, I need to press it to mono, untune from the station to get static, tune back to the station then press to stereo and the stereo light comes on! Signal strength is good. I do not know where on the circuit to look? sometimes it will go mono after that by itself, but usually will stay stereo.

some of the lower rated caps I changed( e.g. 1uf) are nonpolar wima, would that be a problem? thank you.

yes I replaced most of those

Attachments

• Picture 406.jpg
    Picture 406.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 37
Is the tuning meter perfectly centered when you tune for best sound (by ear) and maximum signal (on the meter) ? Maximum signal,undistorded sound an centered meter indication must be coincident if the tuner is well aligned. If not, I would first re-align the detector (discriminator) coil. If the discriminator is not correctly aligned stereo reception will be erratic or impossible. This is the most common problem in old analog tuners and a slight touch up (no more than a quarter turn) of the detector coil is usually all what is needed. Never touch the RF and IF coils if you don't have the right equipment and knowledge or you will end up with a totally useless tuner.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.