Help: Piano Keys

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have what I believe is a 1980's radiogram that I am attempting to repair for a friend. The tape deck uses piano keys for control but the record button doesn't seem to want to latch.

I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the direction of any material that would explain how piano keys work and latch so that I have an idea what might need to be replaced :)

Thanks

There is often a sliding link - stamped steel with 'fingers' as part of the mechanical latch. The lubricant has likely thickened up to the point where it moves slowly if at all. Clean out the old grease and re-lube it. Note that this is likely true for the entire mechanism. "Record" implies a tape transport and it likely need the same treatment. If you don't have the manual take LOTS of photos. Now may be the time to learn how the Macro function works on the camera for the close-ups of how it currently is. Makes it a LOT easier to re-assemble.

THe sliding bar is usuallay either in front of the common assembly line - or at the rear......
Another - maybe not so silly note after all - the record button often had no latch on it's own - you push and hold "record" first, then the play button.... ? Is there a record light indicator of some sort that can prove this case?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.