AR Turnable for enjoyment and tweaking - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2011, 01:58 PM   #1
smiler is offline smiler  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default AR Turnable for enjoyment and tweaking

Hi all,

I currently have an inherited Pioneer PL-12D, which works but it's not in great condition. I'd really like to get started with turntable tweaking using a good base to build on, but it's important that I start with something I can enjoy from the off; this is going to be a long game!

I took a look at eBay, to see what's available in my area, and came up with this: AR Turntable with Mission arm, unidentified cartridge. I've emailed the seller, and negotiated 165. But I have no experience with second-hand decks, so I need help. Is 165 too much?

I googled the AR turntable, and I'm smitten with its potential - there are some beautiful examples on Vinyl Nirvana.

There's also this up for auction: AR Turntable with Linn Basik LV X & AT120E

Do I wait it out to bid on the well-spec'ed deck, or take a 165 plunge (plus, I suspect, further investment).

Any suggestions welcome, including cost-effective ideas of what I can do with such a deck if/when I buy one!
Old 22nd March 2011, 03:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I sold my 1961 AR turntable with a 1975 motor and a Grade FTE cartridge for $35 in 1982. I wasn't happy with the amount of floor shock from walking that was transmitted to the cartridge. This measurement is not made in any magazine review, I am afraid. I replaced it with a 1978 BIC 940 Belt drive record changer I bought about 1978 for $59. It is better than the AR in every respect, and shuts off at the end of the record, too. Plays really heat kinked records the AR couldn't handle, either. I'm still using it, it is not for sale. Found another BIC at a yard sale last year for $20, if I end up needing any parts. I'm running a Shure M97 Era IV cartridge at 1.5 g, my records are holding up fine without high freq. scrape out of the LP that my mother's RCA ceramic cartridge record player used to do..
An arm with an actual anti-skate spring would help the AR a little, but not the floor shock factor.
Only other turntable I used was a hand-me-down Gerrard, that like all of the ones at the libraries, had rumble.

Last edited by indianajo; 22nd March 2011 at 03:12 AM.
Old 22nd March 2011, 03:17 AM   #3
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiler View Post
Hi all,

I currently have an inherited Pioneer PL-12D, which works but it's not in great condition. I'd really like to get started with turntable tweaking using a good base to build on, but it's important that I start with something I can enjoy from the off; this is going to be a long game!

I took a look at eBay, to see what's available in my area, and came up with this: AR Turntable with Mission arm, unidentified cartridge. I've emailed the seller, and negotiated 165. But I have no experience with second-hand decks, so I need help. Is 165 too much?

I googled the AR turntable, and I'm smitten with its potential - there are some beautiful examples on Vinyl Nirvana.

Do I wait it out to bid on the well-spec'ed deck, or take a 165 plunge (plus, I suspect, further investment).

Any suggestions welcome, including cost-effective ideas of what I can do with such a deck if/when I buy one!
Excellent table , I have one of the same and apart from motor issues with old age ( replaced) it's an excellent sounding table with zero , read zero feedback issues, due to it's sprung chassis.

You will not be disappointed ..

regards,

regards,
Old 22nd March 2011, 03:29 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Middle of the road bargain on a decent turntable. The second deck has a much nicer arm. Since you're in the land of 50 Hz, you might want to check out the lenco L75 and L78.
Old 27th March 2011, 01:12 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'd add the Thorens TD-160, TD-145 and probably a few others to that list. They're an evolution of the AR concept. The Lencos are another good possibility (L-75, L-78) and tend to be seriously under valued.

I've had a bunch of AR-XA and did all sorts of mods to them, and they were definitely a big step up from the Japanese direct drive I was using at the time. There are an amazing selection of upgrade parts (unfortunately not cheap) for this table, but the upgrades are mostly needed to make the player competitive with more modern designs.

You might also consider the latest Rega RP-3 or a lightly used P-3.

I've recently graduated to a Thorens TD-124/II and this all started with a minty AR-XA in a box that I purchased around 1988..
Old 30th March 2011, 07:13 PM   #6
BaMorin is offline BaMorin  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiler View Post
Hi all,

Hi, an AR deck can be taken to some pretty lofty standards with some very simple cost effective tweeks. For example the rumble figure listed on that stock deck of < 73db, can be taken down to < 82db with a simple drop in thrust bearing replacement and proper spindle polish. Modification to the existing springs, and different spring perches will greatly improve speed stability and soundstage. Mass loading and balancing the pulley, resetting the motor bushing to near zero vertical movement, etc.

If you can find one in decent condition, you can have a winner with a little work.

Hide this!Advertise here!