using an akai reel motor as turntable drive?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
...the stator:

Attachments

• P3220105.jpg
    P3220105.jpg
    601.1 KB · Views: 154
Thanks for the data too, Ralf.

E-Clip... clever...:devily:

And I was suggesting omega, LOL!:p

Now that you told me that, I remembered that here in Argentina that kind of grommet is called circlip...

Back to motors: after some painful inspection of the Akai pcb diagram, I discovered that the reel motor is a 120 Vac part... I was feeding it 40 Vac, go figure...
I´ll do further testing soon with another trafo.

Now I´m enjoying the capstan motor,:note: @ 40 Vac... a little cumbersome and overpowering (is as big as the turntable, hahaha!), but smooth as silk.

Thank you very much for your input.

Good, Oshifis! that motor has support from beneath (the U metal part in which the rotor rests...)
I think that is well suited for vertical use...

Is speed constant? Are you using a controller?
I don't use it any more, I bought a Thorens TD-160 Super for dirt cheap :D That Papst motor had huge torque, so it ran nearly sync to the mains frequency, which is quite accurate 50 Hz in my area. With 500 RPM I could use a large diameter pulley, which was easier to machine to precision. The motor had some vibration, so I played a lot with the suspension, and could not eliminate it entirely. My home-made turntable looked like this, but it had some basic construction problems, and I don't have it any more:

http://tube.fw.hu/lp3.jpg

...diy turntables are a never ending quest...

I don't use it any more, I bought a Thorens TD-160 Super for dirt cheap
..and sometimes. something appears that throw away all the effort.

What´s that platter in the diy TT? looks massive...

Besides, I´ve never heard the TD-160, but a friend of mine who lives in Spain has one, and is extremely happy with it.

I have a TD-125 from 1968/69, armed with sme 3009: a nice and classy machine. But i seldom use it, because with the diy TT I enjoy tweaking as much as music;)

There are other turntables around: a Barthé Rotofluid, a belt drived french affair, simple and effective as a Citroen. I´ve modified the tonearm bearings, putting ball bearings instead the v-blocks a la Lenco that it had.
The Barthé has a tiny synchronous motor which is identical (and maybe the same) as the motor in TD-160. Excellent stability and very good start up...

And the Sincron..., a reliable and powerful domestic turntable -it was made here in mid seventies-: an idler wheel with a powerful induction motor and very engaging sound.. in it´s time, Sincron TT´s were DJ and radio station workhorses. Audio snobs here tend to dissmis those excellent TT´s, but with care they are on par with a good Lenco:

Attachments

• Imagen 012.jpg
    Imagen 012.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Imagen 002.jpg
    Imagen 002.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 67
  • P3230137.jpg
    P3230137.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 78
  • P3230138.jpg
    P3230138.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 69
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.