Three motor turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Three motor

One picture is on my introduction.
In short :the results are very good and have worth the efforts.
With more motors you get more details,better sound stage,a lot more information,much much bigger dynamics and much better timing...
I use three of them and all have new heavy pulley.I made a test with just one motor with this pulley and improvement was noticeable.
Under the motor is fixed one ball bearing on which is lying the motor shaft,so the motor is not over weighted due to bigger mass of the pulley.This bearing I bought from UK ebay.
I use on every motor one .22mf cap so they are shifted for 120 degrees.
This one is may way and you have many others out there and all have pros and cons,but I should stay away from those which use one single long belt.For long I have in mind the distance between pulley and touching point on platter.Bigger is this distance,bigger is jojo effect.

Attachments

• DSC00337.jpg
    DSC00337.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 874
  • DSC00336.jpg
    DSC00336.jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 803
The turntable was designed by one my friend and was completely made in one our factory named TOMOS which was time ago famous motorbike producer.This was back in 1987 and 6 years ago the same guy made the tonearm on photo.The motors I bought from ebay and they will be as soon as possible changed with new premotec.Now they are mixed premotec and airpax.

From my opinion it will be bigger sound difference between 1 or 2 motors,than between 2 or 3.In my case there was place for 3 so I use 3 motors.Then should be better also to use for every motor one belt instead of 1 on 3 motors and when possible with 3 different lengths and made from 3 different materials,but then the story become long.

I forgot to mention.The motors are connected in series so every motor get now only 77v and I have little trouble to start turning,so I will order one little transformer to bring 220v on 330v,so every motor will get 110v.I own the old KUZMA power supply,but this one is not enough strong for 3 motors and I will have to sell it.Yes,probably they bit each other,but for now this is their problem I got better sound.

I forgot to mention.The motors are connected in series so every motor get now only 77v and I have little trouble to start turning,so I will order one little transformer to bring 220v on 330v,so every motor will get 110v.I own the old KUZMA power supply,but this one is not enough strong for 3 motors and I will have to sell it.Yes,probably they bit each other,but for now this is their problem I got better sound.

Well Gee, if 3 motors is better, then put in a 4th motor and your Voltage problem will disappear and be even better.

If you're doing a transformer WHY would you go UP to 330? Drop it to 120 and use a many or few motors as you like.

You do realize that each motor is working against the others a little bit. It shows up as tension variations between any motor and the platter. Synchronous motors will run at the same speed but the pulleys are not identical.

multiple motors and why they are better:

The reason why multiple motor systems work well is that they address the one problem every turntable has: conservation of inertia.

The means to maintain inertia requires the input of power (actually a force over time). So if a motor can sense load and is capable of providing more power while maintaining a stable speed. There will be electronic solutions required to implement. Another way is to use a very light platter and a high power motor (comparatively to the platter mass). Unfortunately larger motors usually are noisier.

The way that many manufacturers have addressed this is the use of some sort of flywheel: either directly attached to the motor(s) or not.

The use of multiple motors has been championed by many: Audio Note (UK), Origin Live, the Voyd, Pink Triangle (and by extension, the Funk Firm), etc. Again, the idea is the conservation of inertia. What's in common to these makers? They have understood the benefits of multiple motor drive.

Analogist: great table, using what is essentially the same design criteria as some of the BIG names in analog playback. Regardless of the electrical scheme used to get to the desired voltage, you've proven to yourself that the results speak for themselves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.