Tube MM Phono Stage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th March 2011, 05:32 PM   #1
JedS is offline JedS  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Tube MM Phono Stage

Tube MM Phono Stage
I'm looking for ideas for a tube phono stage. Are there any nice schematics that I could implement or are any boffins ready for the challenge of designing one? I would like one with a good RIAA response. I'm really looking for some inspiration.

Let's have it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th March 2011, 05:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Why reinvent the wheel? Just copy any old Fisher, Scott, McIntosh, or such. Schematics available on line.
Old 9th March 2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedS View Post
Tube MM Phono Stage
I'm looking for ideas for a tube phono stage. Are there any nice schematics that I could implement or are any boffins ready for the challenge of designing one? I would like one with a good RIAA response. I'm really looking for some inspiration.

Let's have it.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forums. Use the search function, there are many designs around. Also read Stuart Yaniger's article in the articles section. There he has a very good preamble on noise and tubes for phono while introducing a design. His Master's Noise: A Thoroughly Modern Tube Phono Preamp
Old 9th March 2011, 06:17 PM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Problem is my design won't work with many MMs (including the one I have!) by simply removing the step up transformer. And the old Fisher/Scott/Mac/Marantz stages were, to be blunt, lousy. You might look at the late Allen Wright's designs at Vacuum State - High End Hifi Equipment and in his Preamp Cookbook.

I've been building a new MM stage for myself. If there's interest in an article about it, speak up and maybe our excellent editor will notice.
Old 9th March 2011, 07:03 PM   #5
djn is online now djn  United States
diyAudio Member

I built the Hagerman Octal Cornet and love it. We A/Bed a lot of Phono Stages and I still think it is the best sounding.
Old 9th March 2011, 07:24 PM   #6
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Mķsica
diyAudio Member

A couple of years back Udailey held a DIY gathering in the Austin area. An invitee brought a Hagerman phono pre that we hooked up to my Rega Planar 25 with Rega MM cartridge (Super Elys).

Udailey said he was never really moved by vinyl, but the combo really caught his ear when plugged into his LDR attenuator and an OddWatt amp.

And when SY gets his new MM preamp version built, it will be on my list as a must-build.
Old 10th March 2011, 02:59 AM   #7
JedS is offline JedS  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Problem is my design won't work with many MMs (including the one I have!) by simply removing the step up transformer. And the old Fisher/Scott/Mac/Marantz stages were, to be blunt, lousy. You might look at the late Allen Wright's designs at Vacuum State - High End Hifi Equipment and in his Preamp Cookbook.

I've been building a new MM stage for myself. If there's interest in an article about it, speak up and maybe our excellent editor will notice.
That would be most interesting. Maybe even a "sneak peak" into it. I've never been moved by an internal phono stage that has just been moved out of the box. I think they we're simplistic. (Then again; I can't come up with anything better) It was actually on the recommendation of the thread I read the whole article on His Masterís Noise and was contemplating doing it. But let us where the masterís voice on the matter.

I'm looking forward to the article already.

Hide this!Advertise here!