Tube MM Phono Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tube MM Phono Stage
I'm looking for ideas for a tube phono stage. Are there any nice schematics that I could implement or are any boffins ready for the challenge of designing one? I would like one with a good RIAA response. I'm really looking for some inspiration.

Let's have it.

Thanks in advance.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tube MM Phono Stage
I'm looking for ideas for a tube phono stage. Are there any nice schematics that I could implement or are any boffins ready for the challenge of designing one? I would like one with a good RIAA response. I'm really looking for some inspiration.

Let's have it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forums. Use the search function, there are many designs around. Also read Stuart Yaniger's article in the articles section. There he has a very good preamble on noise and tubes for phono while introducing a design. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diya...oise-thoroughly-modern-tube-phono-preamp.html

Problem is my design won't work with many MMs (including the one I have!) by simply removing the step up transformer. And the old Fisher/Scott/Mac/Marantz stages were, to be blunt, lousy. You might look at the late Allen Wright's designs at Vacuum State - High End Hifi Equipment and in his Preamp Cookbook.

I've been building a new MM stage for myself. If there's interest in an article about it, speak up and maybe our excellent editor will notice.:D

Joined 2007
Paid Member
A couple of years back Udailey held a DIY gathering in the Austin area. An invitee brought a Hagerman phono pre that we hooked up to my Rega Planar 25 with Rega MM cartridge (Super Elys).

Udailey said he was never really moved by vinyl, but the combo really caught his ear when plugged into his LDR attenuator and an OddWatt amp.

And when SY gets his new MM preamp version built, it will be on my list as a must-build.

Problem is my design won't work with many MMs (including the one I have!) by simply removing the step up transformer. And the old Fisher/Scott/Mac/Marantz stages were, to be blunt, lousy. You might look at the late Allen Wright's designs at Vacuum State - High End Hifi Equipment and in his Preamp Cookbook.

I've been building a new MM stage for myself. If there's interest in an article about it, speak up and maybe our excellent editor will notice.:D

That would be most interesting. Maybe even a "sneak peak" into it. I've never been moved by an internal phono stage that has just been moved out of the box. I think they we're simplistic. (Then again; I can't come up with anything better) It was actually on the recommendation of the thread I read the whole article on His Master’s Noise and was contemplating doing it. But let us where the master’s voice on the matter.

I'm looking forward to the article already.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.