Many DIY turntables around ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2011, 11:34 PM   #1
Gutty is offline Gutty  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Many DIY turntables around ?

Hey guys, like the title says, are many people making there own turntables ? And i don't just mean plinths...

I recently finished my own DIY TT. It uses a pro-ject motor, Audiomods arm, and a Rega bearing. The rest is pretty much home(work) made.

My main reason for asking the above question, is i'd like to know what bearing people use. I'm sure i can do better than the Rega, but at the same time don't want to fork out mega bucks for a schue(sp?) bearing.

Cheers
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harward Audio 028.jpg (167.3 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg Harward Audio 063.jpg (190.8 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg Harward Audio 099.jpg (157.4 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg Harward Audio 082.jpg (194.8 KB, 286 views)
Old 9th March 2011, 01:09 AM   #2
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Here is the one I just finished.

Finally finished my DIY TT Pix

Old 9th March 2011, 02:53 AM   #3
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default bearings used in DIY tables?

Many are available out there, via the Internet. Or make your own. Depends on what you want. Personally I'd rather use a known bearing design and have it made brilliantly (as in "do the basics brilliantly"). By that, I mean perhaps a Rega style bearing (or whatever you wish), but machined by a local guy to the best possible finish. Or check out EpAY, etc.

One bearing design I really like is the Roksan, as used in the Xerxes series of tables. Long, small diameter, highly polished. Everybody has their personal favourite.

Your plinth looks great. Is it acrylic?
Old 9th March 2011, 03:00 AM   #4
kach22i is offline kach22i  United States
diyAudio Member

Harward Audio....................your prototype for bigger dreams?

Very nice.
Old 9th March 2011, 03:03 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cheers Nanook. Yeah the plinths are acrylic.

I can make a bearing myself I guess, but not too sure on a design/specs etc
Old 9th March 2011, 04:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutty View Post
My main reason for asking the above question, is i'd like to know what bearing people use. I'm sure i can do better than the Rega, but at the same time don't want to fork out mega bucks for a schue(sp?) bearing.
Wow, such a lovely table deserves a better bearing. With a relatively light platter (acrylic?), machining a decent bearing shouldn't be a problem.

I dig the micrometer VTA on that arm.

Nice work Matt.

jeff
Old 9th March 2011, 04:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Harward Audio....................your prototype for bigger dreams?

Very nice.
Cheers. Nah not really. I'd probably be happy to make more if people were to ask, but not like I'll be marketing it. Can't deny I'm proud and like showing it off though ;-)
Old 9th March 2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default better bearing...

[QUOTE]Wow, such a lovely table deserves a better bearing. With a relatively light platter (acrylic?), machining a decent bearing shouldn't be a problem. /QUOTE]

Jeff, regardless of the mass of the platter, the quality of the bearing is a separate issue. Mass will have an effect on the thrust portion of the bearing, but not the lateral. I think this is why the brass sleeve/ball bearing type is used as much as it is.

Quote:
I can make a bearing myself I guess, but not too sure on a design/specs etc
Gutty, if I had the capabilities, I think I would bore the rega bearing out and press in a sintered bronze bearing. The design should allow for at least the minimum film thickness of whatever lubrication is available in the sintered bushing.

Of course if you want to get fancy there are several here that have made a magnetic "levitation" bearing. THe simplest bearing seems to be a Garrard or Thorens style grease bearing, where the grease actually helps with speed stability. Think of it as a self-dampened (rotationally) bearing. It does increase the drag on the platter, but does help with stability.
Old 9th March 2011, 05:13 PM   #9
dtut is offline dtut  United States
diyAudio Member

Matt,

Beautiful TT - you have every reason to want to show it off. The more I play with this TT stuff, the more I appreciate classic designs with good proportions and clean, simple lines. Oh, yeah, and that micrometer - another idea to steal. Thanks.
Old 9th March 2011, 05:20 PM   #10
djn is offline djn  United States
diyAudio Member

Forgot to add that you did a very nice job on your TT. Looks beautiful. I really like the looks of the arm.

On mine I used the Rek-O-Kut bearing. I was meant to spin 24/7 in radio stations. the thing is bullet proof.

Hide this!Advertise here!