Cheap turntable parts - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th March 2011, 06:22 PM   #1
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
Default Cheap turntable parts

I'm looking for a source for very inexpensive turntable parts. My plan is to build a all-in-one turntable system with built in amp and speakers to rival the sound quality (excuse my language here I don't like the "B" word either) of a Bose Wave radio or the like. I would like to build and sell the units in the nieghborhood of $500. So I'm not looking for top quality stuff her just the motors and such to make it work.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:09 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What lind of parts? I got a whack of give away bits.

dave
Old 6th March 2011, 08:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well I was kinda looking for a consistant source for the motors and gears and what not. I've never built a TT before so I don't know what all is necesary but I want to find a source where I can continue to get the same parts. Basically I need all the stuff I couldn't build myself without doing a lot of studying up. Maybe like a wholesaler.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:21 PM   #4
AEIOU is offline AEIOU  United States
Account disabled at member's request

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
Well I was kinda looking for a consistant source for the motors and gears and what not. I've never built a TT before so I don't know what all is necesary but I want to find a source where I can continue to get the same parts. Basically I need all the stuff I couldn't build myself without doing a lot of studying up. Maybe like a wholesaler.
You might want to try a few thrift stores or yard sales first. You could buy a few and take them apart and see what all is involved.

I remember all the parts for a kit being sold some years ago. But I haven't seen it in a long time.

No gears involved with a straight manual turntable. Most budget turntables use AC synchronous motors, which are easy enough to source. I probably have two or three of that type of motor in my parts bin. I salvaged a nice AC motor from a trashed BSR turntable and a beautiful Hall Effect motor from a Pioneer turntable.

Last edited by AEIOU; 6th March 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well I have about 10 turntables in various states of disrepair I suppose I should start looking at them. So basically your saying I just need a motor and the rest is all pretty DIY friendly? I wish I just had a simple breakdown diagram to look at and make calculations and measurements from. I guess I just need to do more research.
Thanks everyone
Old 6th March 2011, 08:37 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to AEIOU Send a message via MSN to AEIOU Send a message via Yahoo to AEIOU
Quote:
Well I have about 10 turntables in various states of disrepair I suppose I should start looking at them. So basically your saying I just need a motor and the rest is all pretty DIY friendly? I wish I just had a simple breakdown diagram to look at and make calculations and measurements from. I guess I just need to do more research.
Thanks everyone
Well, not absolutely DIY friendly. But if you are handy with making or fixing things then you can probably handle it.
There are various commercial spindle and bearing parts available. It just depends on how much you want to spend on those types of parts and I'm talking about the really high end stuff.
If you have access to machine tools such as a lathe, you could easily make your own platter(s) from aluminum or acrylic or have someone make them for you. Platter rotation is easy math, once you know diameters and motor speed.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well like I said I'm trying to make this cheap, so I'm thinking MDF platters and the cheapest parts I can get. Once I make some that work and sell I might start working on better quality stuff. My parents have this turntable that my aunt gave them in a very nice looking oak box but the sound is so bad I have to cover my ears. I thought if people will pay $100 for something that horrible sounding why not make a similar product with decent sound and sell it in the $500 range.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:54 PM   #8

I located this website with GOOGLE.
DIY Turntables

Quote:
Well like I said I'm trying to make this cheap, so I'm thinking MDF platters and the cheapest parts I can get. Once I make some that work and sell I might start working on better quality stuff. My parents have this turntable that my aunt gave them in a very nice looking oak box but the sound is so bad I have to cover my ears. I thought if people will pay $100 for something that horrible sounding why not make a similar product with decent sound and sell it in the $500 range.
Old 6th March 2011, 08:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yeah I saw that one but it is geared a bit more toward making a high quality TT for yourself I'm just trying to find a cheap consistant source for parts. But it probably will be a helpful site, thanks.
Old 6th March 2011, 10:42 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm looking for a source for very inexpensive turntable parts. My plan is to build a all-in-one turntable system with built in amp and speakers to rival the sound quality (excuse my language here I don't like the "B" word either) of a Bose Wave radio or the like. I would like to build and sell the units in the nieghborhood of $500. So I'm not looking for top quality stuff her just the motors and such to make it work.
It's difficult to see where the market is for low priced Bose-like integrated systems with turntables. The Bose market is all about simple and easy low-fi sound at a semi-premium price (sounds weird when you spell it out). Turntables and vinyl are by their nature fussy and needing care and feeding - clean the record, clean the stylus, 15 minutes of music & time to flip the platter and do it all again. Vinyl afficionados tend to focus on vinyl for its sonic benefits and spend on the rest of their systems accordingly. Not sure there's any there...there.

Hide this!Advertise here!