Replacement motors for Voyd turntable - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th March 2011, 09:18 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Replacement motors for Voyd turntable

I have a Voyd turntable circa 1989. It's been in storage for a while and motors no longer work. Question for any Voyd gurus - can I use Origin LIve DC motors as replacements ? Obviously, I will need 3 of them and I would like to run them on SLA batteries. Also, I use 2 belts on the Voyd, is this feasible with the OL DC motors ?? I could of course go and buy something else, but the Voyd is a thing of rare beauty and deserves to be used ! Any ideas guys ??
Old 4th March 2011, 09:41 AM   #2
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

I had the same problem with my Valdi (baby Void) after storage, a drop of PTFE oil on the bearings soon freed them up, been working ever since.
Old 4th March 2011, 10:53 AM   #3
dhole is offline dhole  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would try and repair the motors. If you cant i would be v interested to buy them from you.

Dave
Old 4th March 2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Werner is offline Werner  Europe
diyAudio Member

These are Papst motors, not? If so the same or similar to the one on Michell decks and virtually indestructable. Any technician acquianted with small AC motors should be capable of reviving them. Otherwise you might ask the nice people at Michell...

Going for 3 OL DC motors is not a solution as there won't be any mechanism at all to synchronise the speed of the three motors. They will drift, all three of them, and fight each other.
Old 4th March 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I believe that the Papst AC motor used by Michell and Wilson Benesch is the HSZ 20.35-4. I have the data sheet if anyone needs it.

Kal
Old 4th March 2011, 10:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Hillbear, Guy Sargent ill be glad to buy the old motors of you- he's one of the designers of the voyd and the owner of the Puresound amp brand in the UK,
Old 6th June 2014, 10:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Question Voyd TT Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmee View Post
I had the same problem with my Valdi (baby Void) after storage, a drop of PTFE oil on the bearings soon freed them up, been working ever since.
Hi,

Sorry for the daft questions, what exact oil did you use and how much did you apply and exactly where?

Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Hi darkmatter,

I've had a look at my oil pen, there is no brand marking on it, the oil is very lite, suitable for watches, the PTFE is the important bit.

I applied one small drop between the shaft and each of the top and bottom phosphor bearings, it's a little more difficult to apply to the bottom bearing because of the flywheel, my pen is a syringe/needle style which made the application much easier.
Old 7th June 2014, 06:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
Darkmatter, buy some Finish Line suspension fork PTFE lube, 12 for a 5cc bottle. Failing that i believe Les at Avondale Audio in Chesterfield has motors still.... ;-)
Old 1st July 2014, 08:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Darkmatter, buy some Finish Line suspension fork PTFE lube, 12 for a 5cc bottle. Failing that i believe Les at Avondale Audio in Chesterfield has motors still.... ;-)
Thanks for that very useful I will contact him

Hide this!Advertise here!