turntable accessories for Opera Consonance LP5.0

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,
I got myself an Opera Consonance LP5.0 Turntable and I needs some accessories, lieke cables, clamp, mat, and cartridge.
First cables: The dealer here recommended Chord (I think they were the crimson) at 800 RMB (I'm in Shanghai), and he recommended them over a set of furutech cables that were the same price. I don't think the Chord Crimsons are hi-end enough for this turntable. I believe Chord has better ones (crimson's are around 40-50GBP in the UK, the next step up is 120GBP in the UK, blue cables, forgot the name).
Cartridge: the guy gave me a Grado Black for free with the turntable, which hardly will do the turntable justice I think.
For cables and cartridge i think it i suseful to know I intend to keep using the T1288 tonearm that comes with it.
I am also currently using a Yaqin MS-12B phono amp, which I believe is for MM cartridges only. I may upgrade to an Opera Consonance Reference 40 phono stage, which does MM and MC, but not any time soon, so my preference would go towards MM cartridges for the moment.
It's also worth noting that my main system is an Opera Consonance refrence 5.5 amp (potentially i will get either Mingda MC845 mono's or Opera Reference 9.9 mono's in the near future).
As for speakers, currently I use B&W CDM 7NTs, but I may upgrade them soon for Opera Consonance M12's which have a lot higher sensitivity.
Finally, the T1288 tonearm has a din plug, and comes with an adapter from din to RCA, so that should extend my posisbilities for cables.
Note that since turntables have a phono stage, there are mor eoptions for cables: do I take the same cable between turntable-phono stage and phono stage-amp? Or can I choose to use different cables between the different elements?

I know these are quite a few variables.
Budget wise, i was considering spending around 300-400 USD on a cartridge, and around 150 USD on cables.

There's an audio show here in Shanghai this weekend, so I intend to buy some accessories there (like the cables, clamp, and cartridge)

Any advice would be welcome...!

Ok, maybe too many variables in one go.
Lets start off with cartridges: Which could be suitable? I read about some, like the Dynavector 17D3 and the 20X (If I remember correctly).
Now these are a bit more expensive and I currently don't have an MC phono stage.
What would be a suitable MM cartridge if we talk up to 500 USD class?

I have only come across this thread and I hope you still have your LP-5.0.

I have the same turntable and through a lot of experimentation and expense I have found the following:

1. No turntable mat improves the sound of the Consonance. I have literally tried them all including solid copper. The Consonance is designed very well for the LP to be placed directly onto the platter.

2. A record clamp makes a big difference. The cheaper ones sound the same as the more expensive ones provided they actually can clamp to the spindle. The ones that work on weight only make a difference but not as much as the clamps.

3. Phono cables - this depends on your cartridge and whether it has a DIN connector or not. I bought the Audioquest Leopard for about $700 US, but it doesn't sound as good as the cables I bought from a company called Finest cables. The model I bought was the Finestcable Twitter for $159 - usually on special. This is the only cheap cable I would recommend, you cant go wrong with it. If you are using RCA connectors, I found the Accuphase brown cables to be the best although the blue are very close.

4. For a MM cartridge you can also look at high output MC. the best I have tried is the Benz Micro Glider H ( for High output) . It is way better than the Denon 103 in my system. For MM, I have the Stanton 881S. If you can find one - get it, it will blow the socks off many 'reputable' MC cartridges.

5. If you are interested iI have done a few other tweaks that have greatly improved the sound from the turntable. Let me know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.