1st MC cartridge - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2011, 11:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Cool 1st MC cartridge

Just bought my 1st mc cartridge, an Audio Technica OC9. I have a Yamaha C70 control amp which has a mc input. Do I still need to insure this low output cartridge matches my preamp? Even so, would I still aquire a better quality sound with a separate preamp of better quality and connect to the mm input? Also,would a stepup transformer be in the picture? Thanks for any help.
Old 28th February 2011, 01:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

As far as i can see the Yamaha C70 is an excellent preamp still and the focus at that time was heavy on MC cartridges so i asume it will produce good results as long as the Elcaps have not dryed out or it has other failures like coroded switches etc.
Old 28th February 2011, 11:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default 1st MC cartridge

I really appreciate you getting back to me right away. I'll be home in a week or so and will set up the cart. and let you know how it sounds. Thanks again
Old 6th March 2011, 05:04 AM   #4
Clack is offline Clack  Italy
diyAudio Member

Even if C70 is a fine preamp, you may obtain better performance using a separate phono preamp, that will be connected to a line level input. A friend of mine had a Creek one that gave very interesting results. It's not expensive and can be easily found used on the bay.
Old 6th March 2011, 06:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

At the time the Yamaha was manufactured the Japanese where far ahead in semiconductor manufacturing for audio. A Creek shot cheep on ebay really does not cut the mustard here.
Old 6th March 2011, 11:21 AM   #6
Clack is offline Clack  Italy
diyAudio Member

Joachim, you are quite right: "at the time the Yamaha was manifactured they were far ahead". What are we talking about, the eighties? Now we are in 2011, and it's common knowledge that the cheap phono stages included in integrated amps and preamps are the true bottle neck that prevents the analog front ends to show the most of their performance.

A separate phono preamp, that has its own power supply and a circuitry made with selected components and developed to be the best possible for the task of raising the delicate signal that sources out of the cartridge, especially when it is an MC one, is the way to definitely appreciate what a remarkable cartridge like the OC 9 is able to extract from vinyl.

Apart that I don't know anything about cutting mustard, I have experienced for years what a separate phono preamp can do for analog reproduction. I have listened for a long time to Creek OBH 15 MM-MC phono preamp: it is one of the most affordable ways to improve sound quality when using analog sources.

In my opinion it's pure nonsense to say no in advance: first have the experience, then decide for your own. And I am sure that when someone who is using a C70 has listened the Creek and learns that is just a couple of hundred Euro brand new, he will buy it asap for sure, doesn't matter where.
Old 6th March 2011, 02:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up mc cart w/Yamaha c70

I appreciate both your responses and will consider both. I will set up the cart to the c70 mc input and also try it with an after market preamp and if no diff I can always resell the preamp. Thanks to both of you and will let you know the results. Thanks Again.
Old 8th April 2011, 02:51 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default 1st MC cartridge

Finally getting back and letting you know that I setup my MC cartridge and used the MC input directly into the C70 Yamaha preamp. I cannot say if it sounds better with a separate phono preamp, but I can make a comparison between a MM cartridge (which is all i've ever used) to this MC. All I can say is the sound is absolutely astonishing! I cannot believe I waited this long to get a MC cart. The clarity and detail are great and the sound stage and channel separation are fantastic! I bought a preamp on the internet and had it shipped home but I had to hit the road again (OTR trucker) and will be home in 4-5 days and try the the preamp and let you know how it sounds.Later
Old 8th April 2011, 03:06 AM   #9
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

What preamp you bought online?
Old 8th April 2011, 05:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Sorry it took so long to get back-went off line right after I posted msg. I bought a Cambridge Audio 640P. Don't have much money so couldn't afford hi-end but hopefully will do the trick.Will find out on Tues or Wed.

Hide this!Advertise here!