1st MC cartridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just bought my 1st mc cartridge, an Audio Technica OC9. I have a Yamaha C70 control amp which has a mc input. Do I still need to insure this low output cartridge matches my preamp? Even so, would I still aquire a better quality sound with a separate preamp of better quality and connect to the mm input? Also,would a stepup transformer be in the picture? Thanks for any help.

Even if C70 is a fine preamp, you may obtain better performance using a separate phono preamp, that will be connected to a line level input. A friend of mine had a Creek one that gave very interesting results. It's not expensive and can be easily found used on the bay.

Joachim, you are quite right: "at the time the Yamaha was manifactured they were far ahead". What are we talking about, the eighties? Now we are in 2011, and it's common knowledge that the cheap phono stages included in integrated amps and preamps are the true bottle neck that prevents the analog front ends to show the most of their performance.

A separate phono preamp, that has its own power supply and a circuitry made with selected components and developed to be the best possible for the task of raising the delicate signal that sources out of the cartridge, especially when it is an MC one, is the way to definitely appreciate what a remarkable cartridge like the OC 9 is able to extract from vinyl.

Apart that I don't know anything about cutting mustard, I have experienced for years what a separate phono preamp can do for analog reproduction. I have listened for a long time to Creek OBH 15 MM-MC phono preamp: it is one of the most affordable ways to improve sound quality when using analog sources.

In my opinion it's pure nonsense to say no in advance: first have the experience, then decide for your own. And I am sure that when someone who is using a C70 has listened the Creek and learns that is just a couple of hundred Euro brand new, he will buy it asap for sure, doesn't matter where.

mc cart w/Yamaha c70

I appreciate both your responses and will consider both. I will set up the cart to the c70 mc input and also try it with an after market preamp and if no diff I can always resell the preamp. Thanks to both of you and will let you know the results. Thanks Again.

Finally getting back and letting you know that I setup my MC cartridge and used the MC input directly into the C70 Yamaha preamp. I cannot say if it sounds better with a separate phono preamp, but I can make a comparison between a MM cartridge (which is all i've ever used) to this MC. All I can say is the sound is absolutely astonishing! I cannot believe I waited this long to get a MC cart. The clarity and detail are great and the sound stage and channel separation are fantastic! I bought a preamp on the internet and had it shipped home but I had to hit the road again (OTR trucker) and will be home in 4-5 days and try the the preamp and let you know how it sounds.Later

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.