Tonearm Rewire

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It could very well be a Jelco.

Franco,

if you have a couple of good photos, that could help. Most tonearms can come apart quite easily.

If the tonearm has a detachable headshell, then remove the headshell. Then the small lead could be replaced or repaired (cover the cartridge stylus or remove it if possible).

If an arm without a detachable headshell, remove the cartridge. There should be a rubber plug or similar where the wires exit the tonearm, carefully pry it out. Underneath the tonearm (in the mounting "pillar"), there usually is a small 5 pin connector, remove it slowly and carefully. Get a "high" E guitar string. Use this to fish from the tonearm headshell end, to the pillar and through it. Solder on one wire, then carefully pull it back through. Repeat...

There are some rewire guides out there. Do a search on "hotrodding a Rega arm" or similar.

Thanks. If it IS that simple I might just give it a try. I think I could also solder a new cartridge clip to the now exposed ground wire. Im having trouble finding something local. Cardas sells set of 4 cheaply enough rather not wait for shipping. This Ariston has 2 leads coming out of the tonearm. Each has one hot lead and the ground for each is copper woven around the outside of the insulation of the hot lead. Never saw this set up before. Not sure what I will find under the mounting pillar. I'll let you know.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.