Tonearm Rewire - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2011, 12:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tonearm Rewire

Today I changed cartridges on my Ariston Q Deck and managed to damage the right channel ground lead. I am thinking I have to rewire the tone arm. I have never done this before and I am looking for articles or advice.
Old 21st February 2011, 02:20 AM   #2
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default what tonearm do you have?

you may not have to rewire the complete arm. What arm do you have?

stew
Old 21st February 2011, 11:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Not sure. I bought it used but I am assuming this is the arm that came with it. THere are no markingings that i can detect.
Old 21st February 2011, 08:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default It could very well be a Jelco.

Franco,

if you have a couple of good photos, that could help. Most tonearms can come apart quite easily.

If the tonearm has a detachable headshell, then remove the headshell. Then the small lead could be replaced or repaired (cover the cartridge stylus or remove it if possible).

If an arm without a detachable headshell, remove the cartridge. There should be a rubber plug or similar where the wires exit the tonearm, carefully pry it out. Underneath the tonearm (in the mounting "pillar"), there usually is a small 5 pin connector, remove it slowly and carefully. Get a "high" E guitar string. Use this to fish from the tonearm headshell end, to the pillar and through it. Solder on one wire, then carefully pull it back through. Repeat...

There are some rewire guides out there. Do a search on "hotrodding a Rega arm" or similar.
Old 21st February 2011, 09:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks. If it IS that simple I might just give it a try. I think I could also solder a new cartridge clip to the now exposed ground wire. Im having trouble finding something local. Cardas sells set of 4 cheaply enough rather not wait for shipping. This Ariston has 2 leads coming out of the tonearm. Each has one hot lead and the ground for each is copper woven around the outside of the insulation of the hot lead. Never saw this set up before. Not sure what I will find under the mounting pillar. I'll let you know.
Old 21st February 2011, 09:28 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default that simple...

If only needing a cartridge clip, I'd go that route. If confident in your skills, then I'd re-wire...
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:14 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Stew,

More brave than confident. As John Lennon would have said" there's you can do that can't be done". Wish me luck!

Hide this!Advertise here!