TT motors from China - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2011, 03:14 PM   #1
reneb is offline reneb  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default TT motors from China

Hi, there are a couple of turntable motors from China available on ebay.
Does anyone have an opinion if they are any good?

Timaudio DIY Separate Motor for Turntable (LP Player) - eBay (item 350415702807 end time Mar-21-11 00:26:26 PDT)

Separate Motor for Turntable (LP Player) - eBay (item 180617743461 end time Feb-25-11 20:50:45 PST)

I'm in need of a stand alone motor, any other suggestions are welcome.
Old 19th February 2011, 05:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917
You can buy a Maxon for those prices, so why bother.
Old 19th February 2011, 06:48 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

See my thread on the TimAudio motor pod. Guys you gotta use SEARCH..

Timaudio TT Motor Pod

FWIW these units are clearly bottom feeders, but the one I purchased has worked well so far. I can't say I am at all impressed with the innards, but the housing is nice and better motors are available for when the original expires. Mine has exhibited good to excellent speed stability but is driving a pretty high mass TD-125 platter. I did need to modify it to attain proper speed with a 12" platter - simply removing one of the resistors in series with the speed control pot was sufficient. I have no idea what sort of speed controller if any is incorporated into the motor housing, but I would surmise it is not too different than what you would have found in an inexpensive cassette capstan drive motor a couple of decades back. Mine is speed stable into a constant load over time so I surmise it regulates torque as opposed to velocity. Change the load and the speed does change noticeably.

Note that 4lb test fishing line works great to drive the platter. Do not get the worthless rubber belt they sell!!

I have run mine for 20hrs or less so I have no sense of the relative durability of this motor. It might even be OK, but I have low expectations.

Last edited by kevinkr; 19th February 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 20th February 2011, 12:47 PM   #4
reneb is offline reneb  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
Thanks for the input, regarding getting a Maxon instead, yes that would be an interesting alternative. But I missed out on the group buy of a Mark Kelly controller and I'm not sure I could accomplish a controller myself without a really good instruction.
Would a Maxon of the shelf controller be an alternative or can I still get a Mark Kelly one or equivalent that does not require high skills to put together?
Old 20th February 2011, 03:46 PM   #5
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

Well ,it's a ready to go drive unit for $100+ .To build with maxon if you're not machinist and can't build controller you'd need to spend $300-500 or more.
Old 21st February 2011, 08:12 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Diy HiFi Supply has a motor pod kit (except the controller board) and a fully assembled, ready to run motor pod for $299 utilizing a premotec dc motor. The motor pod reputedly is quite good. You might want to check out this option as well.. (No affiliation, and I have not tried their turntable motor unit.)

Here: Turntable Parts | Diy HiFi Supply

The Mark Kelly controller is no longer available, your only hope would be if someone were to sell theirs.

Last edited by kevinkr; 21st February 2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 22nd February 2011, 11:43 PM   #7
lowpoke is offline lowpoke  Australia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to lowpoke
reneb, for what it's worth I've purchased from Lance in the past and he's a reliable source. (Lance runs the 'Legends of China' ebay store, which is the second link you've got in your first post.)

Although I can't vouch for the motor he's selling, he has made me a custom part for one of my tonearms for a very reasonable fee. (He makes his own tonearms too, which I have not tried but am quite tempted to purchase. They look pretty decent and he knows his stuff.)
Old 26th June 2011, 04:02 AM   #8
MDIX is offline MDIX  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneb View Post
Hi, there are a couple of turntable motors from China available on ebay.
Does anyone have an opinion if they are any good?

Timaudio DIY Separate Motor for Turntable (LP Player) - eBay (item 350415702807 end time Mar-21-11 00:26:26 PDT)

Separate Motor for Turntable (LP Player) - eBay (item 180617743461 end time Feb-25-11 20:50:45 PST)

I'm in need of a stand alone motor, any other suggestions are welcome.
reneb, I just purchased the "separate motor for turntable (LP player)" eBay item #180617743461 that you mentioned in your post. I will let you know my results once I have received the shipment from China (By the way, Lance is a very honest man to deal with). I required a replacement for the separate motor unit in my Basis turntable and I wasn't willing to pay the $1000 price tag that Basis has quoted to put their newest motor in my existing Basis housing (and that doesn't include an additional $3900 for their recommended speed controller!).
Old 4th July 2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

maxon

maxon motors for TT use
Old 29th November 2011, 05:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
have suggestion on maxon part number? I'm planning to upgrade my Rega.

Hide this!Advertise here!