Denon dl-160 problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2011, 09:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Denon dl-160 problem

Hello. I have a Pro-ject xpression II turntable, equiped with a denon dl 160 cartridge which all of a sudden stop outputing sound from the right channel. Today i swapped the denon with the sumicko black pearl that came with the turntable and it plays fine. Does anybody have any insight on why this happened? Should i just throw away the denon or is there a chance of repairing ? Excuse my ignorance but im kind of newbie in regards to turntables and cartridges. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 17th February 2011, 10:47 PM   #2
jason12 is offline jason12  United States
diyAudio Member

Use DVM to ring Left and Right windings right on th cartridge. As far as I remember it should be about 100 Ohms. If one of them open - the cartridge is worthless IMO. Re-tipping does not make sense since it is more expensive than buying the new cartridge.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:17 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

How long have you had this cartridge? Depending on how long you have had it you may be able to get it replaced by the vendor. You can also try contacting Denon in such a case. If it is a couple of years old you should probably just purchase another one to replace it.
Old 18th February 2011, 07:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have this cartridge for 4 years and sadly this means its out of warranty. I will try to find a dvm and measure it just out of curiosity. It really is frustrating that denon discontinued dl-160, it was a great cart. I think i'll go for a dl-110 if i cant find any leftover dl-160's in the market.For the time being i will listen to my vinyls through the sumiko black pearl
Thanks guys for your suggestions
Old 18th February 2011, 11:35 AM   #5
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Be careful with measuring it with a DVM! Use the 200 kohm range and connect a 100 kohm resistor in series. Otherwise there will be too high current flowing through the delicate coil that will immediately destruct it. Even 1 mA could be harmful.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:40 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

BTW I have two Dynavector DV-23RS cartridges with the same "one channel broken" symptom. One broke during normal use, the other by human interaction (too much current, see my post above...). Anybody has any idea what can be done with them? They are out of production and upgrading them would be too costly.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:40 AM   #7
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshifis View Post
Be careful with measuring it with a DVM! Use the 200 kohm range and connect a 100 kohm resistor in series. Otherwise there will be too high current flowing through the delicate coil that will immediately destruct it. Even 1 mA could be harmful.
Hi, the above is simply not true, a DVM uses nowhere near a mA, rgds, sreten.
Old 18th February 2011, 11:53 AM   #8
jason12 is offline jason12  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
+1
Old 18th February 2011, 02:12 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post

Respectfully I'm not sure you can make this generalization for every cheap DMM out there. I have an Indian made unit that on the low ohms range sources enough current to light an LED, and I recently gave away an old Micronta (Radio Shack) that was capable of doing the same thing.. I've measured more than 1mA of current in resistance mode on the lowest range with this particular (Indian made) unit, and they are not the only ones I have encountered over the years.

Oshifis may have a point. I wouldn't normally connect a DMM to the coils in one of my cartridges unless I was pretty sure it was dead already.

Last edited by kevinkr; 18th February 2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 18th February 2011, 02:39 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The open circuit voltage of a typical handheld DMM in the lowest range of resistance measurement is 1.5 to 3V. In diode/continuity setting the measuring current is in the range of 1 mA. Since I learnt the hard way, I would not risk again...

Reading the fine print in a DMM specification: sometimes, what's not stated in a specification can be as important as what is

Hide this!Advertise here!