Turntable design theory

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I fitted an RB250 arm on my last turntable, a Systemdex IIX. In terms of mods I only got as far as making a new armboard for it with VTA adjustment.

A friend here had that particular combo, it was most excellent. RB250 was rewired with litz, and had fancy stub/c-weight. He re-clocked a Linn Valhalla to drive the 60Hz motor. Probably the best sub $1k table I've ever heard.:up:

jeff

:D Well - it is 0110 here at the moment, but friday evenings are my "quiet moments"....

I remember reading that article many moons ago, - and seriously considered building it....but just getting out of college and trying to establish a living, other things got higher priority.

I think I still have that article somewhere in my stash, but several house moves and a whole family since then, my "library" is somewhat disorganised - at best...

BTW-There's also another, later WW article called the "Bizzarm".. a crossing threads suspended arm......

Hi dtut, got your message a few weeks ago. Did you check you personal diy mail box? Should have got my reply.....anyway still happy to send article but as i said I will need a snail mail address as I am not competent scaning stuff....it never comes out very well.
Look forward to hearing from you, cheers, Jonathan

Designing and building a turntable appears to me to be a very interesting precision engineering project and every now and then I am thinking wether or not I should face the challange in the mid future. Not for cost reasons of course, I already know that my own design could never compete with commercially available well established and well sounding turntables.
The point of considering a diy turntable is the design challenge which requires in my opinion a very deep understanding of what is important and how things (should) work. And here the problem starts. When speaking to turntable enthousiast how it works and what are the critical points of attention, then I am getting advices what systems or components to buy, how to setup and/or mod them (what shelf with what finish sounds best for instance) and lots of dos and don´ts. But when I am asking further how it really works and why, what are the various desired or parastic effects, that make the ultimate difference in sound appearance and what problems are solved by what design aspect then I am getting rather disappointing answers - if at all.
When is was checking the diy turntable design/build threads I also had a hard time to find real design information. Most of the designs are presented as solutions ( heavy masses, magnetic bearings etc. ) but it is not clear to me what problems they wanted to solve and how.
Well, I have to admit I am a bloody novice as far as turntables are concearned and most likely what is puzzeling me is clear to all others.
So I am wonding if somebody could give me some initial help by directing me to a thread or link where turntable design is discussed in detail. Presumably a deep understanding of structural dynamics is most essential here.

Markus

Will finally start a project that is in mind for years this winter.
Nothin special, in general 1210mk2 pcb/platter and tonearm in a new quarrystone carbinet, st. like granite-blue-pearl or similar.
Some changes here and there (cables/plugs, rotary- instead of slide-pot, lights, [...]), may switch arm to origin-mount/Rega250, we´ll see.

Working-title: "solid as a rock!" - keep ya updated... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.