LINN Axis Turntable Motor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th February 2011, 07:21 PM   #1
DocTony is offline DocTony  United States
diyAudio Member

Default LINN Axis Turntable Motor

Need help on the Linn Axis Pully Motor:
Initially I found that the motor has a hard time starting up. Even with turning the platter by hand, it only revolves a short time and is slow on 33rpm, then stops and little to none on the 45rpm speed.

I have replace ALL electrolytics caps, replaced the R1 resistor with an uipgraded thermistor and the rectifier also upgraded, new drive belt and re-oiled the subplatter well as recommended by a Linn service person.

Still the platter does not rotate freely and eventually stops. The motor has a vibratory noise and sometimes starts backward.

Is the motor shot or some other parts needs replacing. Please help. Thank you
Tony
Old 9th February 2011, 09:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I think the clue here is that sometimes the motor runs backwards. This suggests that you have probably lost one "phase" from the Axis PSU. Get a meter on AC volts across the two phases and I think you will find either one of them absent, low in amplitude, or distorted.

The cause of this is most likely in the output stage itself. Probably a BUX85F.

Do you have a scope?

If you have one phase absent, I'd check the o/p transistors on ohms range and replace as necessary. It may be prudent to replace the associated drivers at the same time. BC184?

This circuit is a bitch to fault find on, and please beware as it is not isolated from the mains and will bite if not treated with proper respect.
Old 20th April 2012, 06:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Linn Axis motor

Where can I find a diagram of the motor supply?
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:56 PM   #4
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears12000 View Post
Where can I find a diagram of the motor supply?
Linn Axis Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Quote:
please beware as it is not isolated from the mains and will bite if not treated with proper respect.
Keep that in mind - the circuit directly rectifies mains without a transformer...

Hannes

Hide this!Advertise here!