LINN Axis Turntable Motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Need help on the Linn Axis Pully Motor:
Initially I found that the motor has a hard time starting up. Even with turning the platter by hand, it only revolves a short time and is slow on 33rpm, then stops and little to none on the 45rpm speed.

I have replace ALL electrolytics caps, replaced the R1 resistor with an uipgraded thermistor and the rectifier also upgraded, new drive belt and re-oiled the subplatter well as recommended by a Linn service person.

Still the platter does not rotate freely and eventually stops. The motor has a vibratory noise and sometimes starts backward.

Is the motor shot or some other parts needs replacing. Please help. Thank you
Tony

I think the clue here is that sometimes the motor runs backwards. This suggests that you have probably lost one "phase" from the Axis PSU. Get a meter on AC volts across the two phases and I think you will find either one of them absent, low in amplitude, or distorted.

The cause of this is most likely in the output stage itself. Probably a BUX85F.

Do you have a scope?

If you have one phase absent, I'd check the o/p transistors on ohms range and replace as necessary. It may be prudent to replace the associated drivers at the same time. BC184?

This circuit is a bitch to fault find on, and please beware as it is not isolated from the mains and will bite if not treated with proper respect.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.