Xlr to laptop mic in

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
You will probably also need a mic preamp to amplify the mic output to a suitable level for your computer's soundcard. I have the M-Audio Audio Buddy, which is solidly built and has the 48V phantom power needed for typical measurement mics. There are lots others available also, just search.

Usually, computer sound cards are fairly noisy and so, for measurement, you also want something like the M-Audio Transit to act as an external low-noise soundcard.

You just connect hot to hot, ground to ground, and if the input is balanced you ground the other side.

As for power (well it's not really power, just polarizing voltage), some microphones are electret and require no power supply. I don't know what your unit uses so can't guess. But I am sure that, if there is a power supply, it would be a somewhat lower voltage than you would like. Lower voltage means lower output and more distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.