replacing a DC motor with PLL control - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2011, 05:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default replacing a DC motor with PLL control

hi everyone

well after 30 years of use my turntable has given up the ghost, more specifically the motor has, bit of a shame as i recapped the board and replaced some faulty transistors not so long ago

anyway deck is a mitsubishi LT5V linear tracker. the motor is a dc servo with PLL, and seems to have PLL integrated into the motor,taking it apart reveals a small circuit board on the base of the motor. plus on the schematics the trail ends at a box marked "dc servo assembly/motor" and no bits i can see on the main schematic that would mark a servo system, but i am not exactly an expert when it comes to following some circuit designs!

on the schematic it has the standard 12v + - input plus two other pins marked: VR and C, any idea what these mean?

so im hoping i could try and track down a suitable motor from the likes of maxon or hurst to replace it, as mitsubishi stopped producing these motors about 20 years ago.

so does anyone know of a motor type that could be used as a drop in replacement? size isnt really a factor as i could place it externally in a motor pod, just love to get it up and ruuning again!

any help much appreciated

Last edited by lensmanMk2; 30th January 2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 30th January 2011, 11:29 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The charity resale shops around here have VCR's stacked up like cordwood at $5 apiece. Probably the same somewhere in the UK. The capstan motors on those run very stably. Don't know what technology or how much PCB you have to saw up to get to the driver circuit, but I bet with a suitable pulley it would make a very nice turntable motor.
I'm looking for an expert to tell me something about them. I'd like to put a pulley on one to drive a vibrator scanner in the H182 organ, with a variable speed feature to emulate a leslie speaker without the $700 tarriff for a real one, and the 1 m x 400 cm footprint.
I've already got a digitec quad 4 rack effect. It has a leslie emulator, but lacks the speed up coast down between the speeds feature some musicians use, like S. Wynwood on "Glad".

Last edited by indianajo; 30th January 2011 at 11:36 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!