Condenser microphone and mute switch - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2011, 06:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Condenser microphone and mute switch

Hey.
I've got problem. I've recently made phantom powered condenser microphone for violin, nothing special, but I must repair the problem as soon as posible, because someone desperately need the microphone.

I've build microphone preamplifier using that site:
Powering microphones
under Balanced electret microphone circuit.
It works well for my needs. Or at least, it worked well until I didn't add MUTE switch. So the problem is I can't get rid of the bang while switching from mute to unmute and vice versa. The switch is DPDT.
If you could give me some advice how to connect the switch(or add some resistors, capacitators, whatever), so there won't be that BANG while switching.
I had tried some connections, but they weren't good.

thank you for help, and I hope you could understand my engilsh

and the circuit is(without switch):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vezje.jpg (36.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 23rd January 2011, 06:41 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This doesn't look like a good circuit to me. There is dc everywhere and no good place to connect a muting switch as I see it.
Old 23rd January 2011, 09:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

well, I think it's good because of it's simplicity and it sounded well too, but this switch has really complicated the whole thing!
I've been searching for orther circuits, but I didn't found anything that is phantom powered and without 198654793 elements If you've got any alternative circuits I would be very glad to see them!
thanks!
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:18 PM   #4
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

This looks like an okay circuit to me. You just have to know how to wire a mute switch that doesn't cause a DC offset.

Connnect the positive end of 10uF capacitor in series with the switch, and let's see, put a 10k resistor across the switch to charge the capacitor when the switch is off so there is no DC offset generated when it is turned on.

Connect the unconnected end of the capacitor to the bottom point of the mic element, and the "far" (unconnected to the capacitor) end of the switch to the other connection on the mic element. Or, this series cap-switch-resistor device might work as well or better between the bases of the transistors, where there is much less DC offset.

ETA: Your English is good, but if you can't read mine, here's a schematic:
mute_switch.jpg
Connect point A to the base of one transistor, and connect point B to the base of the other transistor

Last edited by benb; 23rd January 2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 24th January 2011, 10:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey!

I test this circuit and it works fine with no pop, but it isn't completely mute(but enough for my aplication). I put it between the bases of the transistors.
Just before I put the circuit board back in the plastic box I tried this circuit without capacitator. I didn't know what is going to start glowing or explode, but I must tried. And it worked very well, no pop and completely(or at least unhearing mute) mute. So, can you tell me, is there anything wrong with what I did? If it isn't, I would stick with resistor and switch(is the 10k resistor even necesary?).

Thank you very much for help!
p.s.:well, i think we understand each other good enough to solve the problem

Hide this!Advertise here!