Sony PS-LX520 troubles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was recently given a Sony PS-LX520 turntable. I thought I'd get it working if I could. I plug it in and turn it on and I get nothing, almost like a fuse were blown, but I don't find any. My first check fails - no voltage on the secondary of the main power transformer. There are some markings on this but nothing I can identify. I've done some digging around but I don't really know where to look for a replacement. Can someone give me some advice on this - point me to where I can find a direct replacement? Or maybe someone has one of these not doing anything who could take a voltage measurement of the secondary and tell me it is. Maybe I could find something else that would work. TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 47
Are you surer you are getting power as far as the transformer?
Those 80s era liner trackers have several arm position switches
and on that model, as most, the tone arm must be parked all the
way to the right for the table to power up.
Does the tone arm move back and forth properly?
If not, I would start there.

The main power cord runs straight to the transformer. There are no switches ahead of it. The logic control type power switch goes to the circuit boards. It appears that maybe this kind of unit was designed to be plugged into a switched outlet on the stereo. If the cord is plugged in, there is power on the primary of the main transformer, and I measure line voltage there. There is nothing on the secondary.

Unable to find any information absolutely anywhere, my only option was to tear the transformer apart and count the windings to get a primary/secondary ratio. I removed the transformer, confirmed an open primary, and started unwinding. I can see that the primary is obviously burnt. It must be from never getting switched off and having power on it 24/7. Or maybe it took a lightning hit or something. Who knows. I counted approximately 1100/226 turns primary to secondary, plus or minus a few. I might have lost exact count. With a 120V line, that would give me a 24.7V output. I will have to guess at a current rating. I checked Radio Shack's website not hoping for much. Turned out they had one rated at 25.2VCT and .45A for less than $8. That looked close enough. I hooked it up and turned it on and it seems to work fine. I will definitely have this plugged into a switched outlet from now on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.