Rega R200 - Should I upgrade headshell?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a new cartridge - a Nagaoka MP-110 - for my venerable R200 and the same vendor also sells the Nagaoka magnesium headshell.

I've read a couple of comments over time that this is a worthwhile upgrade from the standard Rega perforated headshell, but I can't remember where, or the credibility of those people.

What do you people think? Is this worthwhile?

I can't comment on the mass difference between the shells, as mine still has the old cart in it. The new one is 14g including cart wires.

Please, no comments about ditching the arm and buying a RB250.

Thanks.

Stuey

Thanks Jeff; I thought it looked quite a bit lighter. I'll have to look into whether the whole thing will work together, compliance wise.

Hopefully some of the other members can comment on the likelihood of an improvement. I'm assuming there is supposed to be less resonance and probably lower down in frequency, but I'm a bit of a novice with turntable fettling.

Stu

Hmmm, I'm starting to think it's a bit heavy for the arm. I just weighed the Rega headshell, with the old cart still attached, and it's 14g...

I may give the 'shell a miss.

If you want to keep mass about the same but get a magnesium headshell,you may be lucky to find a used ADC LMG-1.Just as good as the Nagaoka(Jelco HS20/HS25 actually) and only 7-8gr.Also the Jelco is not 14gr,I think it is 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.