JVC QL-7 Counterweight Rubber Bushing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good for you !

Now you see that small collar that surrounds the rubber.
No wonder they go away over time with too much leverage over a small area.

Regards
David

I see that now. That tiny collar with only 3/16" of length going into the tonearm collar has to hold up the entire CW and shaft. Holy cow, not good at all.
And to boot, my small collar is .010 smaller then the mating hole in the arm.
Can you say "slop". :eek:

Yeah, I have a lathe and was thinking of making a new longer surface area stub with maybe a sheet of Sorbathane rolled sandwiching a new brass insert for replacement.

Regards
David

That would be the best way to do it.
If a new brass bolt could be made with a similar thin flat head and run it thru the inside of the tonearm collar, then add the new rubber insert, screw the CW mounting shaft on, lock down the single set screw, it would never sag again. The only thing would be to make sure the head of the new brass bolt doesn't hit anything when the arm pivots up and down.

Does that make since?

Everything would be pulled together from the inside of the large tonearm collar. Those 2 screws on the bottom and that little tiny collar wouldn't be needed any more.

Steve

The square end I believe is to grab into the rubber to prevent spinning OR allows horizontal and vertical damping only, since these are the directions that need damping first from the cartridge.
Not really sure about the last idea since many tonearms globally dampen with no issues.

You need a collar of some sort for simplicity's sake and the set screws just make it easier.
Don,t forget the bearings are delicate and need a delicate touch, so anything forced in or manhandled here needs to be avoided, and the 2 bottom screws accomplish that.

Regards
David

Hi David,

I get that now looking at your previous post and photo again.

My rubber bushing is broken in 2 pieces and the small piece is stretched out of shape. I didn't know my small broken rubber piece goes under the head of the brass bolt. I see that now in your photo.

Without your rubber bushing installed on the bolt, does the head of your brass bolt lock into the teeth on your small collar or does it just spin?

My brass bolt without the rubber bushing installed does not engage with the teeth on the small collar, it just spins. Is yours the same?

If so, it must be that the head of the bolt compress's the rubber bushing into the teeth of the small collar and keeps everything from spinning.

Does that sound about right?

I really appreciate your help saving my tonearm.

Thanks David,

Steve

Attachments

• 9437-RS.jpg
    9437-RS.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 181
The entire brass insert must be isolated from the collar. It cannot touch any solid structure.
Its purpose is damping micro vibrations that the cartridge generates on its own.

The energy a cartridge generates is much more than you would imagine in its own little world and needs a source to dampen and not reflect back down toward the cartridge again.

That square end must not touch collar while operating.
When you screw the counter weight stem back on the brass bolt, you slightly squeeze the rubber and tighten the single set screw and this compression keeps the brass from turning while you adjust the counter weight for cartridge tracking force.

Regards
David

JVC UA-7045 Antiskating

Looks like a pressed in assembly
You would have to do the same, unless you take it apart and drill, tap and set screw a modified similiar type assembly as mine. Rubber isolated

Or find a rubber collar with an interference fit lightly covered with soap to aid in press fitting it back into its serated hole.

The other option is to take the arm out of the TT and desolder the 5 pin connector.
Remove the anti skate knob on top. ( I didn,t do this on mine so watch out for the spring mechanism and how it attaches )
Make a similiar tool as I did with a slotted screwdriver for loosening the horizontal bearing and pull off the ring to modify to your hearts content.
You will have to be real careful in retighting the bearing. A 1/2 gram weight ( small corner of a dollar bill ) placed on the headshell.
You zero balance the arm and if the headshell " weight " does not deflect, you have the bearing too tight.
Regards
David
I did remove my Antiskating knob and the spring shot out and I don't know how to put it back. Any idea's Thanks

I never needed to take this area apart so not sure of its mechanism
Reverse engineer and think it thru

Regards
David

Thanks for your reply. I think I have figured it out. The reasonI got into this mess was that I am rewiring the tonearm and I couldn't get the wire through the tube. I have now discovered why. Inside the whole length of the tube is a long piece of square shaped felt, once you take that out it is easy.
I also have a Sony PS-X75 Biotracer that I am working on so I am always looking for advice from people with the same problems as I.
Regards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.