Phono Stage Project Recommendations - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2011, 03:45 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Phono Stage Project Recommendations

I am in the Market for a good tube based phono stage project and would like recommendations. I am looking at the Audio Note stage but wonder if that is the best use of 's. Are there projects that forum members have completed that they would happily share or can anyone give views on good kits? Where could I find a good circuit design?
Old 10th January 2011, 03:54 AM   #2
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

The RIAA 5 on this page is quite nice. Mine is quiet, musical, and was actually very easy to build point to point. I highly recommend it.

Steve's Tube Pages

My only suggestion is to make sure you use shielded tube sockets on the input tubes. It will hum like no tomorrow if you don't.
Old 10th January 2011, 04:23 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You could try Salas's
Valve Itch phono

If it is anything like his NJFET Simplistic RIAA you are in for a very pleasant experience.

SY has also designed one that should be good. It is in the blog section I believe and is called "Her Majesty's noise" I think

Last edited by SGregory; 10th January 2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10th January 2011, 06:38 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoli View Post
I am in the Market for a good tube based phono stage project and would like recommendations. I am looking at the Audio Note stage but wonder if that is the best use of 's. Are there projects that forum members have completed that they would happily share or can anyone give views on good kits? Where could I find a good circuit design?

How about Stuart's: "His Master's Noise" ? There will be pcb for it in the near future, and it is a very nice design. I'd recommend taking a look at it here: His Master's Noise: A Thoroughly Modern Tube Phono Preamp
Old 10th January 2011, 06:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kevin. Got the Gender mixed up....
Old 11th January 2011, 05:37 PM   #6
studeb is offline studeb  United States
diyAudio Member

There are also two kits from TubeCad/GlassWare. Akido and Tetra.
They can be found here: Phono Preamps

It would be good to know what kind of cartridge you are running too.

Last edited by studeb; 11th January 2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 13th January 2011, 02:40 PM   #7
webby is offline webby  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=kevinkr;2428323]How about Stuart's: "His Master's Noise" ? There will be pcb for it in the near future, and it is a very nice design.

Hi all,
Could you tell me any more info on the PCB availability for this design, who is selling them?
looks very interesting.
Thanks
Ian
Old 13th January 2011, 02:49 PM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Boards are being sold by Company Store (run by diyAudio member jackinnj).

Disclaimer: it's being done on a non-profit basis, I have no financial interest, other than Jack being kind enough to send me a free board.
Old 13th January 2011, 05:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
The RIAA 5 on this page is quite nice. Mine is quiet, musical, and was actually very easy to build point to point. I highly recommend it.

Steve's Tube Pages

My only suggestion is to make sure you use shielded tube sockets on the input tubes. It will hum like no tomorrow if you don't.
Sounds like good advice. Being ignorant what is a shielded tube socket? I guess one of those sockets I have seen with a metal cover?
Old 13th January 2011, 05:42 PM   #10
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revoli View Post
what is a shielded tube socket? I guess one of those sockets I have seen with a metal cover?
Exactly! If you have trouble finding them, I am pretty sure I could send you a pair...

I had monstrous hum problems with this circuit, and luckily there was some info on the net from a guy who also built it. (Late 2001) His found out that you had to shield the input tubes. I did that to mine and it got extremely quiet for a tube phono stage.

Hide this!Advertise here!