Phono Stage Project Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the Market for a good tube based phono stage project and would like recommendations. I am looking at the Audio Note stage but wonder if that is the best use of £'s. Are there projects that forum members have completed that they would happily share or can anyone give views on good kits? Where could I find a good circuit design?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I am in the Market for a good tube based phono stage project and would like recommendations. I am looking at the Audio Note stage but wonder if that is the best use of £'s. Are there projects that forum members have completed that they would happily share or can anyone give views on good kits? Where could I find a good circuit design?

How about Stuart's: "His Master's Noise" ? There will be pcb for it in the near future, and it is a very nice design. I'd recommend taking a look at it here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diya...oise-thoroughly-modern-tube-phono-preamp.html

The RIAA 5 on this page is quite nice. Mine is quiet, musical, and was actually very easy to build point to point. I highly recommend it.

Steve's Tube Pages

My only suggestion is to make sure you use shielded tube sockets on the input tubes. It will hum like no tomorrow if you don't.

Sounds like good advice. Being ignorant what is a shielded tube socket? I guess one of those sockets I have seen with a metal cover?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
what is a shielded tube socket? I guess one of those sockets I have seen with a metal cover?

Exactly! If you have trouble finding them, I am pretty sure I could send you a pair...

I had monstrous hum problems with this circuit, and luckily there was some info on the net from a guy who also built it. (Late 2001) His found out that you had to shield the input tubes. I did that to mine and it got extremely quiet for a tube phono stage. :)

Having trouble connecting

The RIAA 5 on this page is quite nice. Mine is quiet, musical, and was actually very easy to build point to point. I highly recommend it.

Steve's Tube Pages

My only suggestion is to make sure you use shielded tube sockets on the input tubes. It will hum like no tomorrow if you don't.

Hello there yet again Folks.... Can some please help me connect to " Steve's Tube Pages " .... Just can't seem to open the link.... Many thanks and greetings from New Zealand

Follow these instruction from a message by member mwiebe in another thread. They work.

"Yves,
The Wayback Machine has all of Bench's site. Go to Internet Archive: Wayback Machine and enter on the Wayback machine search line, <http://members.aol.com/sbench101/index.html#Categories>. If this brings you to a calendar page, click on a shaded date, in this case Feb. 12. This brings up Bench's home page and all the hyperlinks work.
Matt"

Steve's Tube Pages

6L6;
Any pictures of your preamp build (RIAA 5) ? Would like to see how it took shape and what you did for the power supply design.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
6L6;
Any pictures of your preamp build (RIAA 5) ? Would like to see how it took shape and what you did for the power supply design.

LOL! It's quite ugly. I did it in 2001 and was a pretty early project for me. The original layout of the riaa circuit didn't hold because I needed to swap things around to use shielded sockets, and finally I wound up stargrounding it to get rid of some hum. The PSU is equally embarrassing.

It really is best if the cover stays on that one...

But I will dig it out and take some photos.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ok, you asked for it... It's probably a decent case study of how not to make a project pretty. However, against appearances, it is quiet.

IMG_0407.jpg

One of the issues vexing the layout was the shielded tube sockets, placed in circuit only after the original, unshielded sockets picked up a bunch of hum. The tubes were in line, the tagboards were in line. It looked a bit better, with much more controlled wires.

Then I needed to starground the whole thing, adding all the grey wires.

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

Last edited:
Audio Note phono stages are very nice sounding. P.Q has one of the largest vinyl collections in existence so he makes sure phonostages that go in AN pieces are good enough. You don't want "nice " phono stage. There are plenty around and fairly cheap , you want "inspiring" phono stage which will make you to make effort and clean those damn Lp's . I don't have one so I run dirty discs on cheap needle at present :) The only inspiring phono stage I heard to date was EAR and cheap audio note m1 phono. The stage in ARC SP-6a is quite musical too. I think I'm going to build an old Diego Nardi phono corrector from Sound Practices myself and also EAR clone with thosten mods, and next maybe LCR unit ...someday in next life

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.