A diy modulation cable kit without a shield, normal? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2011, 05:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A diy modulation cable kit without a shield, normal?

Hi,

I just received

Cābles en kit - AUDIOPHONICS XP-OCC Kit Cāble de Modulation RCA Cuivre OCC 1m

and I see now there is no magnetic shield in this kit! What do you think of that?
Old 4th January 2011, 01:07 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, unless you speak (read) French....
It seems to be a single conductor 24AWG copper wire with impossible-to-work with teflon insulation. Useful for some hi-temp industrial application.
Other than that?
E
Old 4th January 2011, 04:20 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The English term for this cable is an "rca interconnect cable." I do speak French, but (very) badly after 3 decades of disuse.

Not sure where mickeymoose got the impression the OFC wire is insulated with teflon - it states specifically that it is uninsulated. This is a kit with teflon sleeving, natural cotton tubing, and rca plugs.

Not sure how much merit these interconnects have, they certainly will not tolerate a great deal of flexing.

Si le kit n'est pas trop cher peut etre amusant a realize soi-meme.. Le resultat, cette une autre chose..

FWIW, there is no magnetic shield in any interconnect. Many do have an electro-static shield, aka shield - the good ones use a mesh providing a high % of shielding, the cheap ones use a spiral of untwisted stranded conductors which is not very effective IMHO. I use lots of interconnects without shielding in my system and as long as the source impedance is low generally I have not had any problems. This design should have relatively low capacitance by virtue of the teflon dielectric (tubing) and for some resistance to EMI a very mild twist could be helpful, but not necessarily what the kit designer had in mind. (Mine are mostly not twisted)

Last edited by kevinkr; 4th January 2011 at 04:32 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!