Siemens Micromaster 420 for EMT 930st ... converting 60Hz to 50Hz . - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2013, 12:44 AM   #11
angcl is offline angcl  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angcl View Post
how to connect to a single phase motor ? , I am using Lenco L75 , the output got U,V,W for siemens 420 , if single phase motor ,how to connect ?
Thanks
Anyone use Siemens 420 for Lenco ?or single phase motor ? not sure "U,V,W" can connect to single phase motor .
Old 21st November 2014, 03:36 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Micromaster 420

Hi there Tubologic,

I have a EMT 930 which is controlled by a 420. Unfortunately, the 420 has packed up. I have obtained a replacement 420 but of course am stumped at setting it up as it looks fairly complicated. Could you possibly set it up for me if I were to send you the new 420 (including BOP).

I am located in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Thanks

Gordon
Old 21st November 2014, 03:55 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubologic View Post
The SIEMENS Micromaster series inverters are perfect for your application : I have successfully converted many EMT 930's by using these inverters. Not only will you solve your frequency/speed problem but you'll end up with a much more quiet and stable turntable, which is the greatest upgrade/improvement for the venerable 930.
The 930 has a 3-phase synchronous motor which can be directly driven by the Siemens inverter,and as the speed is frequency dependent you can adjust it with great accuracy on the inverter.(free varispeed bonus !) You no longer need the crude,noisy and instable speed adjusting brake felt/spring assembly and it can (must) be entirely removed. (one less source of noise). Also, the phase shifting network (adjustable resistor and failure-prone capacitor in the motor box) must be discarded and the motor rewired for pure 3-phase delta mode: you'll need 3 wires going directly from the motor to the inverter. (if the platter rotates backwards just reverse any two of the 3 wires) Now,the motor will be driven by a real 3-phase (120) voltage which will make it much quieter and happy (no longer need to play with sthetoscopes to adjust the resistor for minimum motor noise !). The Micromaster has a remote start-stop control input which can be controlled by the EMT turntable Off-Stdby-On microswitch for more convenience. I ususally use a 7-conductor screeened cable between the turntable and the inverter. (3 wires for the motor,2 wires for the remote,2 wires for the AC mains supply back to the inverter). The whole conversion/re-wiring process will take you about 2-3 hours and is fully reversible if you keep all the old parts. Then you will need to program the inverter to optimize the parameters for your motor. This can be a little more tedious as there are many many parameters and 3 levels of programming in the Micromaster. The (optional) control panel/display is of course an absolute must for programming and need to be ordered separately. I can't go into full details about this here. Just let me say it's really worth the effort, once you finished you'll have a better,more stable and quieter EMT 930 than new.
Hi there Tubologic,

I have a EMT 930 which is controlled by a 420. Unfortunately, the 420 has packed up. I have obtained a replacement 420 but of course am stumped at setting it up as it looks fairly complicated. Could you possibly set it up for me if I were to send you the new 420 (including BOP).

Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 05:08 PM   #14
carolus is offline carolus  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angcl View Post
Anyone use Siemens 420 for Lenco ?or single phase motor ? not sure "U,V,W" can connect to single phase motor .
Not compatible "invertor Siemens 420 & Lenco motor.

Last edited by carolus; 21st November 2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: convertor for invertor
Old 21st November 2014, 05:17 PM   #15
carolus is offline carolus  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curling3 View Post
Hi there Tubologic,

Thanks
FYI
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/ind...?topic=11817.0
Karel

(Happy owner EMT930 & motor management Mitsubishi S500)
Old 21st November 2014, 06:03 PM   #16
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolus View Post
Not compatible "invertor Siemens 420 & Lenco motor.
If you don't mind doing a little bit of work my single phase regenerator project is here:

Single Phase Power Source (AC Regenerator) for Induction Motor Powered Turntables

Works well with TD-124 and should work great with a Lenco or other similar motors. It can do 50 or 60Hz, and 100 - 120V or 200 - 240V at up to 40VA or so. It uses very inexpensive and commonly available parts, the most expensive individual items are the chassis and transformers required.
Old 21st November 2014, 07:14 PM   #17
volken is offline volken  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubologic View Post
The SIEMENS Micromaster series inverters are perfect for your application : I have successfully converted many EMT 930's by using these inverters. Not only will you solve your frequency/speed problem but you'll end up with a much more quiet and stable turntable, which is the greatest upgrade/improvement for the venerable 930.
The 930 has a 3-phase synchronous motor which can be directly driven by the Siemens inverter,and as the speed is frequency dependent you can adjust it with great accuracy on the inverter.(free varispeed bonus !) You no longer need the crude,noisy and instable speed adjusting brake felt/spring assembly and it can (must) be entirely removed. (one less source of noise). Also, the phase shifting network (adjustable resistor and failure-prone capacitor in the motor box) must be discarded and the motor rewired for pure 3-phase delta mode: you'll need 3 wires going directly from the motor to the inverter. (if the platter rotates backwards just reverse any two of the 3 wires) Now,the motor will be driven by a real 3-phase (120) voltage which will make it much quieter and happy (no longer need to play with sthetoscopes to adjust the resistor for minimum motor noise !). The Micromaster has a remote start-stop control input which can be controlled by the EMT turntable Off-Stdby-On microswitch for more convenience. I ususally use a 7-conductor screeened cable between the turntable and the inverter. (3 wires for the motor,2 wires for the remote,2 wires for the AC mains supply back to the inverter). The whole conversion/re-wiring process will take you about 2-3 hours and is fully reversible if you keep all the old parts. Then you will need to program the inverter to optimize the parameters for your motor. This can be a little more tedious as there are many many parameters and 3 levels of programming in the Micromaster. The (optional) control panel/display is of course an absolute must for programming and need to be ordered separately. I can't go into full details about this here. Just let me say it's really worth the effort, once you finished you'll have a better,more stable and quieter EMT 930 than new.

Almost ready a clean Three Phase turntable supply for Papst, EMT 930 .
Measurements following soon ,

Volken

IMG_0853.JPG
Old 21st November 2014, 07:24 PM   #18
Zoran is offline Zoran  Serbia
diyAudio Member

I have EMT930st WO mods
and I think that they put 3-phase motor inside?
maybe I am wrong, but it seems loike this at the scematics?
Old 22nd November 2014, 11:47 AM   #19
volken is offline volken  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran View Post
I have EMT930st WO mods
and I think that they put 3-phase motor inside?
maybe I am wrong, but it seems loike this at the scematics?
Yes the EMT 930 has a synchronous reluctance motor that can be used with 3 phase supply .
Advantage of this control is less vibration and double torque.

IMG_0404.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!