RCA Switch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I recently built a RCA switch, something similar described in this tutorial: RCASwitchBox - ElephantStaircase .

While it works great for the vinyl player input, it doesn't work at all for the computer input :mad:. In this latter case, a jack-to-RCA cable is the input in my RCA switch.

I think it's a ground problem. It's worth knowing that in my circuit I have wired all RCA negative poles to the same ground node by a plastic wire connector. Do you think it's the way to proceed? Do you have any other idea about the cause of the problem?

Thanks for helping!

Alex

I think it's a ground problem. It's worth knowing that in my circuit I have wired all RCA negative poles to the same ground node by a plastic wire connector. Do you think it's the way to proceed? Do you have any other idea about the cause of the problem?

It's standard to connect all the shield/ground tabs on the jacks together, and just switch the 'hot' or 'signal' lines.

Do you have a wire with alligator clips on each end? Bypass the switch by connecting the computer 'IN' signal (RCA center conductor) to the 'OUT' jack with your test wire.
Or, use a female-female RCA connector to connect the RCA computer cable to the amplifier cable...
Or plug the computer cable directly into the amp
Does it work / play music? If 'Yes' then it is a switch connection problem.
If 'No', then check your computer 'Out' connection,and soundcard settings to make sure you are pumping signal out of the computer.

Check the switch connections with a test light or multimeter (needle-type) on OHMs to make sure the switch is working the way you think it is.

You can figure this out- just be logical.

Oh, and PLEASE do a better wiring job than the other builder did, as the picture shows. You don't need all those big loops of wire jumbled together in your box!

I would be a bit concerned if you are switching the low-level signal from a turntable and the (higher) line output from a computer or CD player - be careful to set the levels properly.
John

PS- By plastic wire connector, you mean a 'wire nut' aka Marr connector? That's OK for testing, but better to solder wire from jack to jack, connecting the 'ground'/'negative' tabs. Depending on the jack spacing sometimes you can solder the tabs from a pair to each other.

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys!

I figured out the problem, this was related to the ground, problem lied in connecting negative poles. So I "properly" connected negative poles together, and, tadaaaa, it works like a charm!

@(kevinkr,VictoriaGuy): yeah, by a "plastic wire connector" I meant a Marr connector!

@VictoriaGuy: when you speak about being careful with in-channels like turntable/computer/etc.., do you have any experience/reference to problems that can occur?

Last point, but not least: I now plan to build a sound-inputs mixer, do you have any classic schematic for that?

Thanks so much once again!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.