MC issue - need help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Analogue Source

Analogue Source Turntables, Tonearms, Cartridges, Phono Stages, Tuners, Tape Recorders, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2010, 07:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MC issue - need help

Hi,

I am facing an issue with my newly installed DL 103 cartridge. I use Musical Fidelity VLPS as phone and having issues while playing music. Whenever there is a loud passage of both the ends of band, the sound distorts heavily when I feed the cartridge through VLPS MC input. This is a low out cartridge but it seems working with MM input with noticeable gain and without having any greyness in sound like it played with MC input. Not sure where could be the issue. Is it the impedance (by looking at the specs of the cartridge and phone, this seems matching), cable capacitance (use the stock Pro-ject cable of the TT) or something else with the cartridge or the phono? Need help from someone to throw an idea of a starting point to troubleshoot. I am a novice to this subject hence need some value opinion. Thanks.

Kanishka
Old 12th December 2010, 08:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The 103 is extremely unlikely to overload any MC input. Nor is loading impedance all that important - it plays tolerably well even in zero ohms, although most people seem to prefer much higher values. Still, this is not a reason for distortion. What can actually cause distortion is either poor alignment/tracking force or a defective MC input.
Old 12th December 2010, 08:35 AM   #3
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Same opinion here, I would check tracking alignment and tracking force (I think it's about 2g for the 103) first. You can also try to increase tracking force slightly (no more than additional 0.5g) and see if it helps.
Old 12th December 2010, 04:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. Tracking force I have set to 2.5g as it mentioned in the cartridge instructions. Even I am now tend to think that this may an issue with my phone MC input rather than the cartridge. I tried a different MC cartridge today and it gave a similar result. I will try 103 with some other phono stage and see whether the same result appear just to isolate the issue.
Old 12th December 2010, 04:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I own also a DL103 but mine is R, wich tonearm do you have? do you have an Arc Potractor to do the alignement?
Old 16th December 2010, 09:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
I own also a DL103 but mine is R, wich tonearm do you have? do you have an Arc Potractor to do the alignement?
I used both the Enjoythemusic protractor and Project cartirdge alignment tool. It is a basic Pro-ject 8, 6 tonearm comes with the table. Nothing fancy. Not sure whether this cartridge is the right choice for this medium complience arm, but many have said in forums that this should work without an issue.
Old 16th December 2010, 09:59 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Does anyone knows a way to find the schematic of MF VLPS phono?
Old 23rd December 2010, 06:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

After changing the first pair of ZTX757 transistors in the VLPS MC stage, the output has tamed. I couldn't find the exact same hence changed it with MPSA92. Not sure whether it is the drop in replacement. Any idea or other suggestions?
Old 23rd December 2010, 07:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzero View Post
It is a basic Pro-ject 8, 6 tonearm comes with the table. Nothing fancy. Not sure whether this cartridge is the right choice for this medium complience arm, but many have said in forums that this should work without an issue.
It's not the best choice, based on my experience with the 103's. Are you stuck on using LOMC's? Lots of other cartridges on the market.

jeff
Old 23rd December 2010, 08:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
It's not the best choice, based on my experience with the 103's. Are you stuck on using LOMC's? Lots of other cartridges on the market.

jeff
Not exactly but preference towards MC's. If you could suggest any other good affordable cart to match low mass arm like mine, I could try.

Hide this!Advertise here!